Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to find a London family after 1841, help please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to find a London family after 1841, help please.

I have a James Lee and Susan Doe, married 11 Aug 1818 St Dunstans, Stepney, Middlesex

6 Baptisms to the couple:

Susannah 1819
    Elizabeth Ann 1821
    Sarah Mary 1822
    James Charles William 1824
    Thomas C 1826
    Mary Ann 1828

All children born in Mile End Old Town. Father James occupation variously given as Cattle Dealer, Cattle Salesman, Drover, Butcher etc.

I have them on the 1841 Census at Bancroft Place, Mile End Old Town.

James Lee (Senior), 44, Drover, Middlesex
    Susanna Lee, 42, Born Outside County
    Elizabeth Lee, 20, Middlesex
    James Lee, 19, Drover, Middlesex
    Thomas Lee, 15, Labourer, Middlesex
    Mary Lee, 13, Middlesex

There are marriages for the children in 1843, 1849, 1850, 1858. All of these have the father James following same trade, and none note him as deceased. All I know is he had died by 1885 when son Thomas remarried. He should then definently be on 1851 Census, and possibly too 1861, 1871 maybe even 1881. However can find no trace of him or Susan after 1841. Can anyone help. Without knowing their exact birth places tracing this family back further is proving a nightmare!

Thanks
    Last edited by Richard; 17-08-10, 10:40. Reason: Missed a child, added her to baptisms.

There's a widowed James Lee with daughter Mary Ann in Mile End Old Town here -

The dob is wrong for him as it would have made him 9 yrs old when Mary Ann was born! Unfortunately there are several Susan/Susannah Lees in the death index that could be your one. It also states that he is a traveler rather than drover but Lee is an old Romany/gypsy name....
    Sue

Comment

there is a death for a James Lee
      born abt 1796 died 1874 in Shoreditch aged 78
      Jun 1C 80

Comment

in 1851
        James Lee born abt 1797 in Sandford Devon an ag lab
        Wife Susan born abt 1789 in Crediton Devon
        Daughter Mary Ann Lee born abt 1824 in Sandford Devon
        living in Sandford Town Sandford
        could this be them ?

Comment

Hi Val and Sue, thanks for the help. I have nothing to link the family with Devon at all, and have them pretty firmly in Mile End for at least 1818-1841. The 1841 Census has James born in county, so doesn't seem likely to be him. The 1851 widower with a daughter right name and age looks promising, I wonder whether 34 is a mistake for 54 which would fit exact with the 1841 on the ages? Traveller?..well no Romany connection as far as I know, but I suppose droving cattle would involve travelling around? He employed several drovers at Smithfield, and his son Thomas who took over the business, left the equivilent to half a million in his will of 1889. That suggested to me they wer more settled, managing the business and delegating leg work to others, but I could be wrong.

Comment

Working...
          X