Second opinion re photo please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second opinion re photo please

I have received this photo from a relative. She has told me his name, however he was born in 1917. I also had one of him in uniform, which members of the Great War Forum have dated to just after WW1, so it can't be the man born 1917 after all. I think this was taken in the 1910s, possibly 1920s. Usually people got dressed up for a photo session in those days, yet he's wearing a jumper which makes me think it's something to do with the sea perhaps? I've been to the Lifeboat Museum in Eastbourne today and can find no mention of him. Anyway they are wearing black jumpers in all the photos, so perhaps he was a fisherman. Any other ideas why a jumper could be significant please??

Here's the photo of him which the GWF dated to post-WW1..

I think he looks younger in this one, which will date the first to the 1920s/possibly 1930s... what do you think??

Thanks for your help

My husband has just suggested that he was a goalkeeper

Comment

I think he looks younger in the uniform one.

Football sprang to my mind for the one with the jumper - but fishing might also use jumpers like that. I'm not very good with dates so won't venture any suggestions - the ones you have seem sensible to me.

Anne

Comment

Is the first one a snapshot or a professional photo? I have a similar photo of my Grandad taken in the late 1920s/early 1930s in a jumper that my Grandma knitted him. It was found amongst one of his sister's belongings after she died so I'm assuming that it was sent to my Great Aunt (who was also a great knitter) to show her the 'finished article'.
        My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

I think it was probably a professional shot, Sue, due to the background and fading out beneath him. If it was taken at home you would expect something behind him.

I'm glad you think football as well Anne. I'm going to email the local football team in Eastbourne to see if they can tell me the name of the goalie in the 1920s in an attempt to identifiy this man

Comment

OH is a nonleague football enthusiast & has a photo of Eastbourne United [then known as 1st Home Counties Royal Engineers (Eastbourne) FC] and your man is not on it. Eastbourne had 2 senior teams around that time and another just called Eastbourne Football Club.

I've got 2 Guernsey fishermans jerseys and the working of the neckline is identical.

Comment

Thanks Jill - I've been looking at their web site and they don't seem too up on their history :D

Comment

A very healthy looking man, may I suggest that he looks like a Physical Training Instructor circa 1930/40 ish

Comment

He is isn't he!! :D

Thank you for the suggestion

Comment

Working...
                  X