Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having just discovered the deaths of 2 children within 11 days of each other in 1863, I wondered if anyone might know of any illnesses/diseases which were rife at the time. I've looked at the time line for that year but nothing is reported other than Cholera a few years later.
    The children died in Cheshire.
    Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

It could have been any of the childhood diseases we disregard at the moment... measles, chicken pox, whooping cough, mumps, German measles... apart from any of the diseases which were particularly associated with poverty.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

If they were siblings it could well have been scarlet fever (or one of several other childhood illnesses).

There is a very moving memorial in Carlisle Cathedral to the 5 daughters of the Dean of Carlisle who all died within weeks of each other from scarlet fever.

Anne

Comment

Thanks Christine and Anne, They were sibling sisters aged 4 and 6 months.
        Jen

Comment

Don't the death certificates have the causes?

Peter

Comment

I haven't got them yet Peter, I only found their deaths this evening.
            Jen

Comment

This may be a reason... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancashire_Cotton_Famine

Comment

Thanks Velma, that makes interesting reading. How dreadful the conditions were then. I have now found their death references so will shortly get their certs to find out how they died. I also found a further possible family member who suffered the same fate at the same time too.
                Jen

Comment

Working...
                X