'Home' parish query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Home' parish query

I have a 1788 baptism for 'John son of Sarah - bastard' (according to the parish register). I have John documented through his life, but my problem is identifying his mother Sarah.
    I thought I had found her baptism in the same parish in 1770 but there is a rather inconvenient burial in 1771.
    So I was wondering if she was a widow and my query is - did a wife take her husband's parish as hers on marriage and, should she be widowed and childless, would she still be entitled to stay there?
    Any thoughts appreciated

Marriage entitled a woman to settle in her husband's parish. But she may have had settlement rights because her father moved there for work, she may not have been a widow. What information does it give about her surname?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I have several Removal Orders for widows being sent bck to their parish of birth after the death of their husband.

One or two (that I know of) successfully fought the Removal Orders and gained settlement in the parish where their husband had worked and died - it all seemed to depend on circumstances and how sympathetic the parish overseer was to the widow.

OC

Comment

Little Nell and OC thank you for your replies - Her surname is Andrews and try as I might I cannot find any further details of her life apart from giving birth to John. I have checked the overseers accounts for the parish but she doesn't feature in them. I will check the workhouse records the next time I can get to the record office. Can you suggest any other records I should look at to try and find her.
        If only I hadn't found that burial it would all be so easy....

Comment

I have a similar ancestor (whom I've trotted out before!):
          Baptised August 1820:
          "This child is said to have been born in this Parish about three years ago. Mother's present residence unknown."
          He married and settled in a village fairly near, but over the County boundary. He and his mother were the only people with their surname to be recorded where he was baptised, but the surname did exist in the village where he settled... and there had been a female with the right name and of an age that she could have been his mother. But I have nothing proven

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
          X