Help wanted with mystery Alice Elms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help wanted with mystery Alice Elms

Years ago a very distant relative gave me his side of the tree, and I've just been checking it now.

He has
    Arthur ELMS born 3.10.1874 at Risca, Monmouthshire, Wales
    married
    Alice Jenkins in March qtr 1904 Newport M registration district. (Monmouthshire, Wales)

My relative has down that Arthur and Alice had one daughter called Alice ELMS, who died in infancy. There isnt any more children on his tree. (Don't know when she was supposed to have been born)

I've been doing my own research about it, and I cannot find any Alice ELMS born or died in Monmouthshire district.

I've been on the 1911 census and found the family. It has a daughter on there called Mary Dorcas Elms, born Dec qtr 1904 at Risca, Monmouthshire.
    It also says that they only had one child, and no children had died.

I even wondered if this Alice was born and died after 1911, but still can't find any trace of her.

Could a fresh pair of eyes have a look for an Alice Elms please, just in case I've missed seeing her.

I'm beginning to think that my distant relative has made her up! ;D
    I can't ask him about it, as we've lost touch now, and he gave up researching through ill health and advancing age.

Jan

There's a Mary Alice Elms
    Year of Registration: 1903
    Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
    District: Newport M
    County: Glamorgan, Gwent, Monmouthshire
    Volume: 11a
    Page: 278

Can't see anything else though....
    Sue

Comment

Hi Sue,
      Thanks very much for looking for me. That could be her - I didn't spot that one!

Comment

Originally posted by Jan B View Post
        Hi Sue,
        Thanks very much for looking for me. That could be her - I didn't spot that one!
        That one is before the marriage though!
        Margaret

Comment

I have one couple in my tree who had 5 children, all registered in the father's name, before they got married, lol!
          Sue

Comment

I don't have access to a full 1911 census but playing around with free index on FMP I think I've found an Alice Elms b 1903 Risca, Monmouthshire, possibly daughter of an Albert Elms. A brother for Arthur perhaps?
            Sue

Comment

Hi Margaret and Sue,
              Thanks for your replies.
              Sue - I've just looked at my family tree, and yes, the Alice Elms born in 1903 was the daughter of Albert Elms - brother to Arthur Elms. It's been a while since I looked at that branch of the tree.

So, I guess that there was no Alice born to Arthur and Alice Elms.
              Think my distant relative must have got mixed up somewhere along the way.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
              X