1861 help please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1861 help please?

Can anyone find Nimrod BATES in 1861 census b c 1835 in Wingate,Kent. In 1851 living at Orsett,Essex with parents James & Sarah,siblings Isaac,William & Hester. Dont know if this is my lot but trying to eliminate/confirm.
    Thanks
    Kerri
    Anyone see the family in 1841?
    Last edited by Kerri from Aus; 15-08-10, 07:12.

1841 census they seem to have the name Baker

HO107; Piece 491; Book: 10; Civil Parish: Strood; County: Kent; Enumeration District: 9A; Folio: 44; Page: 29; Line: 20
    Elaine

Comment

Have had a look for Nimrod in 1861 but cannot see him.
      Elaine

Comment

Nimrod married Sophia Tracey in 1861, Dec qtr, Maldon, Essex vol 4a, p276. In 1861 census Sophia is with her parents in a seafaring community in Burnham (think Thames Barges!) In 1871 and later census Nimrod is a Fireman and I'm wondering if he was at sea for the 1861.
        Sue

Comment

I had a look at the Seax images. The marriage in Dec-Q of 1861 didn't take place at St Mary's. There was only one: 2 Nov 1861 of Samuel PRICE and Ann RIMES - bachelor and spinster of the parish. Witnesses WIlliam and Emma RUFFELL (and I think that is double-f not double-s). (image 62 of 65; ref D/P 132/1/7)

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Sadly there aren't any images yet for: Marriage register - All Saints and St. Peter, MALDON, 1837-1878 (http://seax.essexcc.gov.uk/Default.asp)

If they were in Strood in 1841, are there any parish register entries for the family in the Medway City Ark images? (http://cityark.medway.gov.uk/)

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I found the marriage by Googling Nimrod Bates and this popped up -

You have to scroll down a bit and the marriage was at Burnham (reg district Maldon)
              Sue

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help. I think Im on bit of a wild goose chase,just using information in old letters. Im looking for a James BATES (could be BETTS) who was born around 1800 in Teston area in Kent. In 1834 he was married with 7 children. (his siblings were married in Aylesford). But James & his family were not living in Teston. He died on what looks to be 2nd June 1857. So I went looking for a James born c 1800 in Kent-but none found in 1851 as born Teston.

So then I started looking for possible James's & seeing if they were still alive in 1861 to eliminate them.

I think that this is marriage for Nimrod ( dont know if this is my family-still trying to gather information)
                Name: Nimrod Bates
                Estimated birth year: abt 1837
                Spouse Name: Emma Hart
                Spouse Age: 57
                Record Type: Marriage
                Event Date: 7 Jul 1906
                Parish: St Faith, Wandsworth
                County: London
                Borough: Southwark
                Father Name: James Bates
                Spouse Father Name: Robert English Hart

Cheers
                Kerri

Comment

That marriage is on LMA records - Nimrod (widowed) is a Retired Member of the Fire Brigade and his father James was a Mill Wright.
                  Witnesses were John and Emma Denney.
                  Sue

Comment

the very latest census Nimrod is shown as being a retired Fireman formerley a Seaman in the royal navy
                    WendyP

Comment

I see in the 1841 there is a Nimrod Baker born same year as the Nimrod Bates shown above he is listed in the household of a

John Baker bn 1793 Occ Millwright
                      Sarah Baker bn 1811
                      Nimrod Baker bn 1837
                      Isaac Baker bn 1839

They are living at Strood Hill P B, Strood, Rochester, Aylesford,

I wonder if this a mistranscription
                      WendyP

Comment

Originally posted by Sue from Southend View Post
                        I found the marriage by Googling Nimrod Bates and this popped up -

You have to scroll down a bit and the marriage was at Burnham (reg district Maldon)
                        No images yet for
                        Marriage register ~ BURNHAM-on-Crouch, St Mary the Virgin, 1837-1894

Christine

Comment

I found these on free bmd

Births Mar 1839
                          Bates Isaac Baker North Aylesford 5 367

Births Dec 1843
                          BATES Hester N. Aylesford 5 394

Then found this death
                          Deaths Sep 1854
                          BATES James N Aylesford 2a 217

I wondered if this could be my James. So will get this cert & see what info is on it.
                          Thanks for your ideas.
                          Kerri

Comment

In line of Nimrod's occupation as a Fireman there was a mention in the British Library newspapers abt him suffering with a burned face and a leg injury in an explosion at Chelsea in October of 1871.
                            WendyP

Comment

Working...
                            X