Looking for a missing husband

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a missing husband

Although this is only a distant twig on my tree, I don't like mysteries. Would anyone like to help in my search for a missing husband?

Fanny Parslow (born 1842 St Giles in the Fields) married Richard Roderick Bruce in 1866 (found on Ancestry London Marriages). They had a son Archie Roderick in 1867.

I can't find Richard on any census. In 1871 Fanny & Archie are living with her brother Thomas and sister Caroline. In 1881, they are with her mother Sarah and sister Caroline and in 1891 they are with Caroline. In 1871 and 1881 Fanny is shown as married but as a widow in 1891.

Can anyone find any trace of Richard please? On Archie's marriage certificate in 1891 he is shown as Roderick (deceased).

Jane

I wonder if he married her bigamously so used a different name ??? on 1861 and 1871 there is a Archie Bruce funny enough, born abt 1831 married to an Emma he is a Brazier and living in Marylebone ???

Comment

I've had a bit of a rummage: this chap seems to have done a deliberate disappearing act, doesn't he? I searched the FreeBMD for a death for him between 1866 and 1891 and it found nothing. So either he changed his name or skipped the country. I did wonder if he was bigamously married, but if he just dropped his middle name and called himself plain 'Richard Bruce' he disappears into the crowd of men with the same name. Frustrating! Sorry not to be more help.
      Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

With Richard's occupation on the MC being given as Engineer and the fact that he is missing from the census, means he could have been in the RN or Army.
        I've just checked the overseas BMDs to see if there is a death between 1881-1891 but nothing is showing up.
        Elaine

Comment

where did you find Fanny and Archie in 1871 ??? as I cant

Comment

Val,
            1871 census
            Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

RG10; Piece: 657; Folio: 29; Page: 14;
            Elaine

Comment

thanks Elaine

Comment

Thank you for looking. In 1871 Fanny is with Thomas Parslow (her brother) in Lambeth. Piece: 657; Folio: 29; Page: 14.

I did wonder if Richard being an Engineer was working abroad. His son was an Engineer as well.

To make matters even worse, going forward with their son Archie, he marries Eleanor Roberts in 1891, they have a daughter Eleanor Mary in 1892 and then they all disappear as well. I'm wondering if Richard moved abroad and Archie followed him.

Jane

Comment

Archie & Eleanor appear to be around in 1911, living in Lambeth - children Eleanor, Roderick & Archie.
                  Elaine

Comment

Update - although I can't find Archie on the 1901 census, he has turned up in 1911 still in Lambeth.

Jane

Comment

Thanks Elaine - we must have posted at the same time.
                      Last edited by Breckland Jane; 14-08-10, 16:33.

Comment

1901 census, transcribed as Bence
                        RG13; Piece: 413; Folio: 115; Page: 1

.. with mother Fanny in same house.
                        Elaine

Comment

That's great Elaine - might have guessed they were mistranscribed.

Comment

has anyone looked at the chelsea pensioners index in case richard was in the army and was discharged?

Comment

Originally posted by Breckland Jane View Post
                              Thank you for looking. In 1871 Fanny is with Thomas Parslow (her brother) in Lambeth. Piece: 657; Folio: 29; Page: 14.

I did wonder if Richard being an Engineer was working abroad. His son was an Engineer as well.

To make matters even worse, going forward with their son Archie, he marries Eleanor Roberts in 1891, they have a daughter Eleanor Mary in 1892 and then they all disappear as well. I'm wondering if Richard moved abroad and Archie followed him.

Jane
                              Hi Jane,

I know you posted this a while ago so I don't know whether you're still looking into this, but I can help a little bit as Eleanor Mary Bruce is my great great grandmother.

Eleanor married Harry Ernest Siggins in 1915, sometimes written Siggurs, Siggues and all sorts of other ways in transcription, however he died in 1918 - they didn't have any children. After that, Eleanor lived as the 'wife' of my great great grandfather, Albert Edward Beaumont, however I can't find any record of them ever actually being married. They had 3 children (not including Dorothy, b. 1927 d. 1928) Ruby, Roy and Alma Eleanor (my great grandmother - on her birth certificate she's registered as being the daughter of Eleanor Mary Siggins, formerly Bruce). Eleanor died in 1974 in Kent as Eleanor Beaumont.

Hope this helps some! If you want more names, dates etc. to add to your tree send me a message I'm more than happy to help. Like you I've hit a brick wall with Richard Roderick Bruce, who knows where he ended up!

Take Care,

Robyn

Comment

Hi Robyn

Many thanks for your reply. Richard Roderick Bruce is certainly a mystery.

I'll send you a PM.

Jane

Comment

Originally posted by dobbiedobz1 View Post
                                  Hi Jane,

I know you posted this a while ago so I don't know whether you're still looking into this, but I can help a little bit as Eleanor Mary Bruce is my great great grandmother.

Eleanor married Harry Ernest Siggins in 1915, sometimes written Siggurs, Siggues and all sorts of other ways in transcription, however he died in 1918 - they didn't have any children. After that, Eleanor lived as the 'wife' of my great great grandfather, Albert Edward Beaumont, however I can't find any record of them ever actually being married. They had 3 children (not including Dorothy, b. 1927 d. 1928) Ruby, Roy and Alma Eleanor (my great grandmother - on her birth certificate she's registered as being the daughter of Eleanor Mary Siggins, formerly Bruce). Eleanor died in 1974 in Kent as Eleanor Beaumont.

Hope this helps some! If you want more names, dates etc. to add to your tree send me a message I'm more than happy to help. Like you I've hit a brick wall with Richard Roderick Bruce, who knows where he ended up!

Take Care,

Robyn
                                  I have the Beaumont/Siggurs family in my tree as Eleanor was the daughter of Henry Bruce and Julia Harper. Harper is my direct line on my mother's side.

I couldn't find a marriage for Eleanor and Albert Beaumont either.

The Siggurs family emigrated to Australia and I have been in touch with some of the descendants there.

I have loads of information about the Harper line which goes back to a French nobleman and am happy to share if you want to send me a PM.

Margaret
                                  Last edited by margaretmarch; 04-03-12, 12:38.

Comment

Eleanor married Harry Ernest Siggins in 1915, sometimes written Siggurs, Siggues and all sorts of other ways in transcription, however he died in 1918 - they didn't have any children.

I found a son Eric William Siggurs b1916 who married and had 2 children and they are the ones I that went to Oz.

I have sent Robyn a PM about this.
                                    Margaret

Comment

Margaret

I'm completely confused now as you have Eleanor's parents as Henry Bruce and Julia Harper and the Eleanor, I think, Robyn and I are both referring to was the daughter of Archie Roderick Bruce and Eleanor Roberts. I hadn't found the marriage of Eleanor Bruce to Harry Siggins before Robyn mentioned it but I think it might be in the London marriages on Ancestry. Unfortunately I can't check it out as I haven't got an Ancestry subscription as the moment.

Jane

Comment

Eleanor Bruce Harry Siggins Marriage Certificate.jpg

Here's the marriage certificate for you Roderick James Bruce, Eleanor's brother, was a witness to the wedding you can see his signature at the bottom.

Take Care,

Robyn

Comment

Working...
                                        X