Scottish records office

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish records office

is anyone going to the scottish records office in the near future that could do a couple of look ups for me please.

thanks
    jean

Not going to the office, but i have some spare credits for Scotlandspeople..........if its something thats online i`m more than happy to look it up for you.

Nicky

Comment

Jean, I am planning to go at some point in the first half of September, but until I get the Festival out of the way I can't begin to think about it! Let me know if that would help.
      Sheila

Taking a pause from tripping the light fantastic.

Comment

hi nicky,

Ive looked on there, spent £12. yesterday just looking, but cant find them. Im looking for the birth of Adam Dempster/Demster. born approx 1841 in Irongray, kirkmahoe, I looked right up to
        1848, descrepencies on his age on all census's, born in scotland then moved round about ending up in liverpool, where he died in 1904 aged 56. father John Dempster/Demster mother Martha Wilson, Im also looking for their marriage, first child born 1830, so Ive looked from 1820 till 1854 cant find that either. John and Martha both born approx 1806 in dumfrieshire.

sheila,

that's o.k. thanks tho.

jean
        x

Comment

They'd be on the OPR's so would have searched the LDS site first. That narrows it down and saves an awful lot of credits on scotlandspeople. It may be that the parish records for there have not survived.

However he may not have been C of S so could be in Catholic or Non-Conformist. Did you find his parents details on his Scottish marriage certificate?

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

hi jbee,

no, adam got married in holywell, flintshire. I found one of his brothers james on the IGI, I also found Thomas and James on the OPR births, james born 1829.in Irongray and thomas born 1830 in Closeburn, cant find the others, there is john bn c1835, catherine bn c1838, mary bn c1841 janet bn c1846 and david bn c1849. going by adam's age on the census's he was born somewhere in the middle of that lot. lol.

jean

Comment

The problem with pre-1855 Scottish records is their variablity. And as JBee says, if they weren't Church of Scotland the records on the IGI (and IGI pilot site) are much more plentiful.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

o.k. thanks for all the replies, I will carry on looking on IGI and see what I can find.

jean
                x

Comment

I was searching for a family in Kirriemuir and found most of them but not the one I wanted. When I actually got to see the OPR only some pages had been water damaged and wiped clean of ink - on other pages there were just one or two entries left out of the whole page the rest of the book was totally ok.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Hi Jean - it is possible to do a lot of searching on scotlandspeople before shelling out on any lists or records themselves. For example, if you know the name and parish and rough dates you can use the search parameters to narrow it down to funding out how many hits you get for say Adam Dempster / Irongray / 1840 to 1842. If you get fewer than 25 results, just expand the parameters (eg. remove christian name, widen dates etc) until you do: thay way you can get 25 records entries for 20p! Then with a printout of them you can judge whether any are worth looking at in detail. However, ALWAYS worth looking on IGI first (as nother has said)

Comment

hi bertie,

thanks for that, I looked on the IGI this morning but I can still only see the two elder brothers none of the others.

jean

Comment

Maybe they moved and the younger ones were born/christened elsewhere.

The census might just say where the family originated from as the children were probably too young to know and that was what they were told.

Have you tried www.scotsorigins.com - its the same as the LDS IGI but you can narrow it down to counties and places iirc.

Comment

I found an entry on Scotsorigins for Thomas Boyes Demster chr 22 July 1832 at Closeburn, Dumfrieshire unfortunately its a film and not an extracted entry.

Comment

thanks for that jbee, Ive bookmarked it.

jean

Comment

Hi Jean,
                              Not sure if you have checked it out, but the Thomas Boyes Demster christening that JBee has posted is on scotlandspeople.

THOMAS (BOYS) DEMSTER 22ND JULY 1832 CLOSEBURN DUMFRIES FATHER: JOHN DEMSTER MOTHER: MARTHA WILSON

Katherine

Comment

Yes Katherine - Scotlandspeople originally used the IGI for OPR's but I think have added a bit more since. So its always worth looking at the IGI first for free to narrow down the searches before using credits on scotlandspeople.
                                Last edited by JBee; 17-08-10, 09:01.

Comment

hi jbee,

I found that one and the one for his brother james. I havnt managed to find any of the others, or the marriage of john and martha.

jean

Comment

As you found 2 of the children christened at different places then its quite possible the others were christened somewhere where the parish records have not survived or where pages have been damaged.

Alternatively I found a marriage in 1822 in Edinburgh but couldn't find any christenings for the children at all. It transpired that the banns were called at the C of S kirk as required by law but the marriage took place at an RC chapel (now the Cathedral). I then visited the Catholic archives and found the baptisms. These have now been put on scotlandspeople, just waiting for the marriages to come online.

Comment

Working...
                                    X