HONEYMAN & CURRELL - UK and Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HONEYMAN & CURRELL - UK and Australia

William George Honeyman and Mary Currell had at least one known child, Julia Honeyman born around 1858 in Campbelltown, Victoria. Julia went on to marry Albert Mark Hands in Melbourne.
    I've tracked Albert, his siblings and parents to London, but I'm stuck on William and
    Mary. On Julia's death cert William is named George. For her marriage he is named William George. Any ideas welcome!

There is a marriage of William George Honeyman to Mary Currell showing on the LMA records on Ancestry

Can you access it via that link?
    Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine - I'm afraid not..and my comp is really slow until Monday which is frustrating.
      Can you poss tell me what it says?

Comment

Mary Currell - minor
        William George Honeyman -minor - bachelor - baker
        Marriage 5 Nov 1849 in St. Mark, Shoreditch
        Residence at the time of marriage - both "of this parish"

Groom's father - George Honeyman - occ. baker
        Father Name: Charles Currell - occ. publican

Witnesses: Sarah & George Quarrell (difficult to read - could be a variation of Currell.

Do you want to send me your email address and I will forward the image?
        Elaine

Comment

That's super...thanks Elaine...I'll send you my e mail.
          Interesting that they're both minor's...does that mean under 16, 18 or 21??

Comment

I think it means under 21.
            Elaine

Comment

Thanks....

Comment

Can anyone see William George H and Mary coming in to Australia?

Comment

I haven't found them on the usual passenger list sites so far.

It looks as though they had a child in England:

Fanny Eliza Honeyman, baptised 16 March 1851 at St Peter’s, Hackney, London, parents William Honeyman, cow keeper, and Mary. The address looks like Southgate Road (or Yard?).

I wasn’t sure if this was the right couple, as a cow keeper is a bit of a change from a baker, but a Fanny Eliza Honeyman married George Greed in Victoria in 1874. She died in Hampton, Victoria in 1939, aged 87, and her parents are shown as Mary Honeyman and Mary (the first Mary is presumably a mistake for William). There are a couple of trees on Ancestry which show that Fanny as being born in Somerset, but another one shows her as born in London and names her parents as William George? Honeyman and Mary Currell?.

Ancestry also shows 9 children (including Julia) born to William George Honeyman and Mary Currell in Victoria between 1856 and 1875.

As Fanny was born just before the 1851 census I expected to find them on that census, but I can’t see them.

Send me a PM with your e-mail address if you'd like the full details.
                  Last edited by Mary from Italy; 14-08-10, 22:48.

Comment

According to the deaths index, William's parents were George and Eliza, so this is probably his baptism (from the IGI):

WILLIAM HONEYMAN
                    Male

Event(s):
                    Birth: 10 DEC 1830

Christening: 17 JAN 1831 Old Church, Saint Pancras, London, England

Parents:
                    Father: GEORGE HONEYMAN
                    Mother: ELIZA

I've also found it in the LMA records, and father George was a baker, so it looks like the right family.

I think I've found George with his mother Eliza and siblings in 1841; she was a biscuit baker.
                    Last edited by Mary from Italy; 14-08-10, 22:48.

Comment

Thanks for all of the info Mary - I've sent you a pm as well.
                      There was mention of a Jewish connection, but I can't see that..not on this side..
                      Could be from the Hands side which is in my other post.

Comment

No, it certainly doesn't look like it so far.

Comment

Yes, I think it was either more recent, early 1900's, and someone married in to the Jewish faith...or a remote poss on the Hands side..

Comment

From the Ancestry Victoria, Australia, Assisted and Unassisted Passenger Lists, 1839–1923 database:

Fanny Honeyman - born c1852
                            Departure port - Southampton
                            Arrival port - Melbourne, Australia
                            Arrival Date - 14 May 1858
                            Arrival Port: Melbourne, Australia
                            Name of ship - Parsee
                            Nationality - English

There is also Elizabeth Honeyman b 1853 travelling on the same ship but unfortunately there are no images to go with this database so cannot see the rest of the family .. and searching the database without entering a name doesn't bring up anything that looks remotely like Honeyman!
                            Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                              From the Ancestry Victoria, Australia, Assisted and Unassisted Passenger Lists, 1839–1923 database:

Fanny Honeyman - born c1852
                              Departure port - Southampton
                              Arrival port - Melbourne, Australia
                              Arrival Date - 14 May 1858
                              Arrival Port: Melbourne, Australia
                              Name of ship - Parsee
                              Nationality - English

There is also Elizabeth Honeyman b 1853 travelling on the same ship but unfortunately there are no images to go with this database so cannot see the rest of the family .. and searching the database without entering a name doesn't bring up anything that looks remotely like Honeyman!
                              If you look at the same database on the PROV - Public Records Office of Victoria, these are all the Honeymans who came to Victoria -

Family Name First Name Age Month Year Ship Port Fiche Page
                              HONEYMAN A P CAPT - FEB 1854 JOVEN DOLORES B 064 001
                              HONEYMAN ELIZABETH 5 MAY 1858 PARSEE B 145 005
                              HONEYMAN FANNY 6 MAY 1858 PARSEE B 145 005
                              HONEYMAN JAMES 15 MAY 1853 STRATHEDEN B 038 002
                              HONEYMAN JANE I JUL 1853 ALBEMARLE B 042 009
                              HONEYMAN JANE 25 MAY 1857 MONTMORENCY B 124 002
                              HONEYMAN JANE 22 JUL 1853 ALBEMARLE B 042 009
                              HONEYMAN JOHN 28 JUL 1853 ALBEMARLE B 042 009
                              HONEYMAN MARION JANE 4 MAY 1857 MONTMORENCY B 124 002
                              HONEYMAN MARY 22 DEC 1855 STEBONHEATH B 102 001
                              HONEYMAN THOMAS 24 JUL 1853 ALBEMARLE B 042 009
                              HONEYMAN WM 47 MAY 1853 STRATHEDEN B 038 002

The PROV site can search by ship name as well, and there are lots of other free databases relating to the state of Victoria. Remember that before 1851 Victoria was not a state but part of NSW. NSW has shared most records pre-1851 with Victoria and most records relating to this period MAY be found in both states, but some are only found in NSW records.
                              Diane
                              Sydney Australia
                              Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Two notices from The Argus Melbourne

29 August 1878
                                MARRIAGES
                                HANDS-HONEYMAN-On the 27th lnst, In the West Melbourne Independent Church, by the Rev E T Miles, Alfred Mark, eldest son of the late Mark John Hands, to Julia, third daughter of the late William George Honeyman, Townley house, La trobe street west, Melbourne

which makes this the right death - and maybe a very gloomy wedding !

21 August 1878
                                DEATHS
                                THE Friends of the late WILLIAM GEORGE HONEYMAN are respectfully Invite, to follow his remains to the place of Interment, Melbourne
                                General Cemetery
                                The funeral will leave his late residence,Townleyhouse, Latrobe street west, THIS DAY. (Wednesday) at 3 o'clock p m '"

It would seem that this address was also known as Honeymans Temperance Hotel, during this period of time. Cant find anything about Mary, Fanny or Elizabeth.

The NLA newspapers website is one of the best resources I have found for finding free information about people sometimes there is just as much, or more information than the official certificates.

Diane
                                Last edited by dicole; 15-08-10, 13:26.
                                Diane
                                Sydney Australia

Comment

Thanks Elaine and Diane for the further info..my comp was really slow and is back to normal today..
                                  I couldn't even open anything in the NLA site...Honeymans Temperance Hotel sounds interesting!

Comment

The NLA site sometimes takes a while to load, so be patient !
                                    Diane
                                    Sydney Australia

Comment

Originally posted by dicole View Post
                                      The NLA site sometimes takes a while to load, so be patient !
                                      Hi - yes, agree! - I've found that if you google first and then click the nla link that way, it's quicker...
                                      but then you still have to go to the main site as well to find more bits....must admit, I prefer using it direct than using Trove though..

Comment

I've found loads of fascinating stories in the old Australian papers, and have done my bit correcting the OCR.
                                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                                        X