Parish Record scans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parish Record scans

I am looking to collect links to scanned images of parish records in Britain and Ireland. I am not talking about the collection of records that cover many counties such as ancestry.co.uk carry etc., but rather the individual scanned images from parishes etc. which may or may not have been indexed.

This is my site: http://www.parishrecordsonline.org.uk

If you can help me fill in resources, if you know of web sites with scans that you have found in your research, then please let me know! Thanks.

Welcome to Family Tree Forum.
    I've moved your thread to the Research Qs & As forum as our Research Requests forum is for requesting lookups at specific places, such as ROs, archives etc.

Re your website - most of our members, when they find something useful, tend to post it on the forum and we add it to our Reference Library.

Go to our home page and click on UK Index. Follow the links through to the individual counties where you will find a list of resources applicable to that county, including parish record collections.
    Elaine

Comment

Thank you Elaine...

I always get the wrong place in genealogical forums :(

I have updated the website (see OP). Requests for specific archived sources still stand if anyone know of any!

Comment

Great idea,

Just one catch though...................Those of us who take photos of original registers for our own research are prevented from publishing the photos online - we can only transcribe them so I have hundreds of photos from around 20 registers covering a dozen parishes and can't do anything with them!

:(

Comment

The familysearch beta site now has quite a of of Durham Diocese Bishop's Transcripts images available. The Diocese extends into Cumberland and parts of North Yorkshire.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Yep, I am keeping an eye on the familysearch site.

Are parish registers considered private property of independent churches, rather than public records in the public domain?

Comment

I think the incumbent (vicar or rector) or the PCC (parochial - not "parish" - church council|) retains the copyright. That's why you can't easily get copies from Maker (Cornwall) registers.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

When my church (Methodist) deposits records at the county archives, it does so on permanent loan, which I believe is the norm.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                X