Jewel Dorothea Dale (nee Cudmore) b. abt 1874 Colchester

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jewel Dorothea Dale (nee Cudmore) b. abt 1874 Colchester

I'm looking for information on Jewel Dorothea Dale (nee Cudmore) b. abt 1874 Colchester.

I have her marriage to Harry Duncan Dale on 30th June 1901 from Parish Records (St Mark's, Kennington), and her death (23rd January 1949) in Essex.
    I have her in the 1901 Census at 9, Brixton Road, Lambeth and in 1911 at 100 Chamberlayne Wood Road, Kensal Rise, Middlesex. She and Harry had a son Lionel (b. 1904) and a daughter Jewel Dorothea (another one!!!! b. 1912). In 1914 she moved to Essex and ran a farm.

Her age seems somewhat 'flexible'. The 1901 census has her birth "abt 1874" and this matches her date of birth if the age of 27 she gave at her wedding in 1901 is correct. In the 1911 census she gives her date of birth as 1880. To further complicate things, the card sent out to frieinds and relatives after her death in 1949 gives her age as 66, suggesting a birth of around 1883 (though this would make her only about 17/18 at her marriage where she claims to be 27!)

The trouble I am still having is finding her before her marriage. As far as I can see she seems not to exist before this (under the name Jewel Dorothea).

The marriage record lists her father as James Cudmore (Dec'd) who had been a Railway Inspector.

I have checked the 1891 and 1881 census for her, and could not find her, but found several James Cudmore's. The 1901 census shows her nephew Frank A Cudmore with her and her husband. Following this lead I found a Jonathan Cudmore with a son Frank with the right places/dates of birth, whose father James Cudmore is a railway worker in Essex (the only J. Cudmore I could find working for the railway), whose children are born in the right place for Jewel Dorothea. I've also checked James Cudmore's occupation in the censuses and in 1851 he's an agricultural labourer, 1861 he is a railway labourer and in 1871 & 1881 he is a Railway Platelayer (track inspector) which ties in with the occupation given for her father on the marriage document. James and his wife Julia S. Cudmore have at least 5 daughters (and several sons) born between 1869 and 1879, but none with a name anything like Jewel Dorothea. James Cudmore died in 1884 and his Wife Julia carried on as a Railway Gate Keeper.

I did check out a few more James Cudmore's in the area, but none fitted the railway connection or had daughters with names any more likely to be Jewel Dorothea.

Going through the daughters I can account for 4 of the 5 after the date of Jewel Dorothea's marriage, but so far not the other after 1901:

Emily Cudmore, b. 1869, in 1891 a servant, still unmarried then living in Hannover Square, London. After that she marries in 1898 and shows up with her married name in later censuses.
    Julia Sarah Cudmore, b. 1871, married Robert Bray in 1890, still living with him and their family (3 boys) in 1901 Mile End London (and [probably] still in Lambeth in 1911 with 3 boys and a girl named Dorothea b. 1908).
    Susanna (Nancie)* Cudmore, b. 1874, married a German immigrant Charles/Carl Blohm in 1899, living in Camberwell, London with daughter Dorothea Julia (b. 1900 d. 1995) (can't find the 1911 entry for them yet, but know they ended up with 2 children and Charles lived until 1950, died in Wales).
    Ada Maria Cudmore, b. 1877, single, in 1901 a 'Chorus Singer' living with sister Susanna/Nancie and her family, can't find her after that.**
    Charlotte Cudmore, b. 1879, died 1888.

I'm wondering if possibly Jewel Dorothea is actually Ada Maria under another name? The problem with this is that Ada M Cudmore (Mis-transcribed as 'Cudenore') and Jewel Dorothea Dale show up in the 1901 census, although both are in London. If this is not the case any other possible explanations how she could be missed from the earlier censuses even though she clearly seems to be closely related to the other sisters judging from the fact her nephew is listed with her in the census.

Neither can I find a birth certificate for a Jewel Dorothea Cudmore in the 1870-1885 period.

Any more suggestions for getting further?

* Re Susannah/Nancie. I've found Nancy is often another name for Ann, Anna or Hannah, and Suzannah is often shortened to Anna, so that seems to fit that one.

** Found a Marriage for an Ada M Cudmore to a Barry Cuthbert Braddall in 1906, but I'm not sure if this is the same Ada M Cudmore (there seem to be a number of Ada Cudmore's in the censuses)

I wonder if Jewel is a misunderstanding of the name Julia? Although there is already a daughter Julia who has a daughter Dorothea Julia! (At least this suggests you have the correct family, lol)

Sorry I can't suggest anything more useful.

OC

Comment

Working...
    X