Snowdon Family - West Horden Farm, Castle Eden Near Peterlee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snowdon Family - West Horden Farm, Castle Eden Near Peterlee

Hi, and first may I thank all that provide help on this forum to answer questions, it is most appreciated.

My dilemma is this; my late mother took to her grave the stories of her past which I am now trying to 'dig' up from the past. Unfortunately I am at a point whcih I cannot go any further. Please help.

My mother was born illigitimately to her mother whom I know as MAY SNOWDON (dob N/K) on 28 April 1927. The father is unknown. I have gained a bit of information such as the recorded place of birth for my mother was:

West Horden Farm Castle Eden - Near Peterlee.

She was given the name (un christened) of:

FREDA MAY SNOWDON

(May from her mother and 'FREDA' from Fred??)

(To those that know the area - this was mine works and the farm is no longer in existence)

I know that my mother was adopted out and was 'taken in' by the Reverend Lionel Justice Ford (The Dean of York Minster) and was 'adopted' by his brother (the preraphelite illustrator) Henry Justice Ford born 1860. (Google his name!!) Henry Ford married a stage artist in London and they took my mother down to London from the North East and settled in Dorset where he set up an Artist Studio. I can trace Henry and Doris Fords life a little to his death in Cornwall in 1940 but I cannot trace my Mothers birth family in the North East (Durham/Peterlee/Hartlepool) area.

We can all put 2 and 2 together and I realise that as a young farm girl in Peterlee my 'Grandmother' would more than likely met up with a young man at West Horden Farm and things happened!!!

Please help in any manner, I really appreciate it.

A little more information, my mother was renamed:

JUNE MARY MAGDALENE JUSTICE FORD - on her adoption by Henry Ford.

MAY SNOWDON is believed to have moved to the HARTLEPOOL area and continued her family life there.

Thank you, any other information please do not hestiate to ask.

It's a difficult one because apart from the name, you don't know anything about May Snowdon!
    There is one on the 1901 census who was born in Castle Eden, which is only a few miles from Peterlee - but I would have thought we are looking for someone a bit younger.

Do you know if it was a formal adoption, in which case may be some court papers have survived.
    Elaine

Comment

Is it worth checking the electoral roll for the address in 1927 and after to see who was there and if birth mother stayed on at all.
      Margaret

Comment

Working...
      X