IMPORTANT: Do not get fooled by this PC repair cold call scam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IMPORTANT: Do not get fooled by this PC repair cold call scam

There is a current scam, where people are being called by operators claiming to work for Microsoft and then convince you to install a 'fix' for a current system problem they are aware of.

It is a scam!

It will install software that allows them to take over your PC and also convince you to pay them.

Britons targeted by cold callers pretending to be from Microsoft phoning to fix a fake computer problem

Two people in my town have received these calls.

Researching:
    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Yes, I had about 3 of these calls a couple of months ago. When questioned about the exact problem or name of the affected file, or how they managed to relate my computer to my phone number, they could not answer and hung up.

Comment

But you could have endless fun stringing them along ;D

Anne

Comment

I did put a thread on the general recently about someone over on Martin Lewis who strung them along for 28 minutes, lol. Even went and sat down with a cup of coffee and chatted to a neighbour for a while whilst supposedly trying to find the info the person asked for.

Comment

I had a call like this, and so did my neighbour. She asked the caller what Microsoft proposed to do about her Apple Mac. They hung up rather quickly!
          Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

A friend of mine had one of these calls. She listened to all they had to say and sounded really interested, but then told them she wasn't really computer literate but her husband would probably be interested and could they call back later. They said they certainly would call back. My friend then said "yes he's really into computers he works for the IT department at Sussex police" Strangely they didn't call back.
            Lesley passed away in November 2017.

Comment

thankyou trevor brenda xxx

Comment

Working...
              X