Canadian Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Records

I'm trying to find if there are any Canadian BMD registers available, or being cheeky can anyone look them up. (pm me for names)
    I'm looking for the deaths of my Grandfather, his brother and wife, also marriages of my aunts. These will probably all be in the 1970's

Any advice welcomed

L

I think they are recorded by province, rather than country.
    You might find some useful links on the Canada page in the Reference Library.
    Elaine

Comment

Canadian records are usually subject to closure for up to 100 years after the event and very few are online. I think you have to be a very close relative to get copies of BMD certificates even if you find the references.

Do you know which province they lived in?
      Sometimes there are birth, marriage and deaths or obituaries in the regional newspapers and some of these are online. I think each province has their own Genealogical Society and some are better than others with the records they hold and the help they give.

Good luck with your search.
      Last edited by LangleyValeSue; 12-08-10, 20:15.
      My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

I've found the folk in Alberta and Saskatchewan helpful. But I can't now remember how much I already knew about the person.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

The only ones which I know of on line are British Columbia.

Births are only available after 120 years, marriages 75 years and deaths 20 years.

As Uncle John has said, it might be worth contacting the Family History Society in the relevant province. If you find them in the BC archives, I don't mind looking up the death info for you.
          Jenny

Comment

Thanks all for your replies, My gUncle and family emigrated to live in the Ottowa area in the late '50's-60's my gfather joining them later. I can't find the death of my gfather or his 2nd wife over here I'm presumining they stayed in Canada. My g uncles family moved around 1968 but I know not where but I do know my 2 aunts (1 x 3months older that me) got marrired and I believe moved to somewhere in Quebec province.

I'll look at the papers and the HS to ascertain what they hold.

Thanks again

L
            Last edited by It_Is_I_Leclerc; 13-08-10, 07:51. Reason: spelling again!

Comment

Re Canadian family

I have found that teh local family history societies are excellent, as is the relevant forum on RootsWeb
              http://lists.rootsweb.ancestry.com/

One member of the Moose jaw society has informed me that there is a book, “Warm Prairie Windsand it was printed in 1983 published in Ottowa, where emigrant families have put their story in it.
              It had a fantastic answer to a previous posting I had put on this forum about my Gt Uncles Alfred and William who had emigrated to Canada which answered all of my questions and even gave me a lead to find the phone number of my current family over there.
              I have attached a copy of the pages (PDF format), that she sent me.
              Attached Files

Researching:
              FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Working...
              X