Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gro checking point

hello all,

im trying to order a death cert for elizabeth lupton. there are two possibilties, and i cant see where i can put the checking point in. her husband's name was richard, and would like the gro to check both certs to see if which might be my elizabeth. where in the order form can i submit the checking point?

I haven't ordered any certificates recently, since the price increase, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that the checking reference option had been withdrawn.
    Elaine

Comment

oh that would be a disaster!! i couldnt see it anywhere, maybe your right!

Comment

I found that out last night.
        I didn't bother before the increase but with the price now I thought I would use the checking point, only to find it was no longer there, not daft are they!:p

It now makes no difference if we have the reference or not, we can't even check we have the right certificate if we do & this is progress!
        Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

To be fair to the GRO, it wasn't they who withdrew the checking point, it was some interfering government body, who said they could not be allowed to offer a "free" service (checking point) for some people (those who asked for a checking point, lol) and not for others.

It was decided that they could not offer an economically priced checkpoint service...so the whole thing has been withdrawn.

EDIT - some local offices will still check if you ask them to.

OC
          Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 12-08-10, 09:03. Reason: Afterthoughts

Comment

The checking point facility, especially for death certificates, was a bit of a double edged sword and probably best avoided. The informant may not be a relative and give duff info, I have a couple of examples. One or two of the local registration offices I've used have been very good to the extent of phoning me to clarify things before issuing the certificate. Of course the full, rather than the GRO partial, refund was an added bonus. Must say that not all local office services are equal and maybe in the current financial climate they will become less helpful?
            Last edited by modem; 12-08-10, 11:36.

Comment

Modem

Yes, I fear that local ROs will no longer be as helpful, as their help comes under the banner of giving a free service to SOME people.

This issue isn't actually about money, it is some crackpot EU directive about providing an equal service to all, but it has been taken to EU crackpot limits, lol. I do wish the EU would keep its nose out of our business.

OC

Comment

You can still order from GRO using checking points, as long as you do not supply the reference number. On the form, where it says Is the GRO Index Reference Number known? enter No. If they can't match an entry to your checking point, they have to refund you in full now. They are not allowed to retain part of the fee, that was the legal problem.

I agree though, it's best to go via the local office where possible. I usually write a letter outlining everything I know, eg for a death cert I would list the names of all possible informants (names of children, siblings etc). There is nothing to lose by this approach.

ETA: actually there's no reason why you can't write a similar letter to the GRO, rather than have to conform to the limitations of the online form. There's no longer a surcharge for ordering by post or phone.
                Last edited by Blackberry; 12-08-10, 13:59.

Comment

That sounds good in theory Blackberry but I couldn't find anywhere to put checking points for them to check against!
                  Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

Have you entered 'no' against the ref number question? You should get a new form coming up. They do ask for a year, but will check a year either side of it. And like I said, there's always the option of ordering by post - you can add as much info as you like that way.

Comment

blackberry, that sounds like an ingenious way around it, maybe i will try it?

Comment

I would try emailing the local RO first, most have online sites that give an email address. I have done this successfully in the past, and even had a reply from one yesterday confirming that one cert I wanted was the right one but the other differed from the info I had suggested. They went on to give me their reference number of both certs so that I could order them if still required. As you are in Australia, I would suggest that this might be the fastest way to find out which one you need to order. If the RO concerned will not do this for you, then you have not even wasted the cost of postage to the UK.

Comment

i've asked in the past with help in certs from local ro's, but they refused to help unless i ordered the certs first, which is fair, but i only want one, so it is a nuisance to order both, and go through a refund, etc.

Comment

It depends on the office. Many provincial ROs are helpful, but London is difficult. If you've approached a particular RO before with no success, try writing to the GRO as suggested.

Comment

kylejustin

When I order certs from a local RO and only want one (or none!) with a checking point, out of say four choices of cert, I send a cheque for "Not more than Thirty Pounds".

That way, they usually only send me one cert (and that after a good old telephone discussion) and we don't have to muck about with refunds etc.

OC

Comment

I agree, it is always worth asking a register office for help in case they are able to do so.
                                After seeing that there were some children that had been born and had died, according to the 1911 census, I looked them up on free BMD, that is the surname - fortunately for me, being an unusual one, SADD - and then contacted the register office staff at Wandsworth and in Suffolk, who were extremely helpful and confirmed that the parents' names were as I suggested.
                                Joy

Comment

well, i looked up the entries on the yorkshire website, the one for 1847 was in yeadon, the one on 1846 was in harewood, both came under otley in the gro. so ive ordered the 1846 one, as she was living in harewood in the census.

Comment

Working...
                                  X