Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Break through in my Irish wall, but what next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Break through in my Irish wall, but what next?

I have just found my Great Grandmother's sister Maria Cope, on the 1901 and 1911 census. That's good because it now gives me a dob for her (1863) and that she was born in England, and not Dublin as the rest of her siblings.

Problem No.1. But where in England?

Living with her in 1911 is her mother, my GG Grandmother!!!! Maria Cope (nee Lismore/Lismone). All I knew about her before was that her father was James, a labourer, (from her marriage to John Cope). I now know that she was born c1835 in England. Found her on the 1901 census and again she states England.

Problem No.2. But where in England?

I've had a look for any possibles, but haven't really found anything.

Any suggestions or help in finding them.
    Last edited by WendyPusey; 12-08-10, 09:26. Reason: Too many greats!
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

in 1871 there is a Maria Cope born 1864 Staffordshire with parents Anthony and Mary Elizabeth
    and also in 1871
    Maria Cope born 1861 in Huntingdonshire with parents G Cope and Ann

Comment

Well there are only four possibilities for a Maria Cope born 1862-1863 in England according to freebmd. Do you have any other possible hints from your researches?
      On Maria sr, the only Maria Lismore on the IGI for the relevant time period is born in 1831 in Bristol, Gloucestershire, to a Thomas and Ann.

Kate x

Comment

Maria Cope's (1863) parent's were John and Maria Cope, they were in Dublin from 1864 until they died.

Maria Lismore/Lismone's father was James.
        Wendy

Comment

Woops, just realised I had too many greats.
          Wendy

Comment

Can't find Maria Cope on any census and Maria lesseyman only on the 1841 and 1851 census.
            Last edited by WendyPusey; 07-03-11, 10:15.
            Wendy

Comment

Nudging this up as no-one seems to want to help.:(:(
              Wendy

Comment

on the pilot search on Familysearch there is a christening for a Maria Cope 12 Jun 1864 in West Bromwick Staffs Parents John and Maria Cope

Comment

there is a christening for a Maria Lismore 9 Oct 1831 in Bristol to parents Thomas and Mary on the same site .

Comment

Originally posted by WendyPusey View Post
                    Nudging this up as no-one seems to want to help.:(:(
                    Not a question of not wanting ... just not able! :(
                    I'll have another look to see if I can come up with something.
                    Elaine

Comment

When and where did John and Maria marry?
                      Do you know if Maria b c1863 was the eldest child?
                      Elaine

Comment

Maria Cope born 1861 in St Ives, Huntingdonshire was in Kensington with her parents G and Ann and younger siblings Thomas and G in 1871.

Apologies to VWINS - I got confused reading both your threads and Val had found that one already.

P.S. Finding people in Huntingdonshire (Hunts) is a pain on Ancestry unless they have changed their transcriptions. For a long time in the very early days on there, I thought my gg grandmother was born in Cornwall as a transcriber had assumed that that was where that St Ives was, and in another year when they published them later, they were all put into Hampshire (Hants).
                        Last edited by Caroline; 14-08-10, 07:11.
                        Caroline
                        Caroline's Family History Pages
                        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                          When and where did John and Maria marry?
                          Do you know if Maria b c1863 was the eldest child?
                          Forget that! Can see you have posted more details on GF.
                          Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                            on the pilot search on Familysearch there is a christening for a Maria Cope 12 Jun 1864 in West Bromwick Staffs Parents John and Maria Cope
                            Can't be this one as my great grandmother was born January 1864 in Dublin, and Maria was born before her!
                            Wendy

Comment

Wendy,

Would it be possible to summarise what you have about Maria, her parents and her siblings, so that we aren't reinventing the wheel for you and also so that those who are not members of GF could see it too??
                              Caroline
                              Caroline's Family History Pages
                              Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

All I can tell you is that Maria was born c1861 somewhere in England and she had 5 siblings. The 1st two were born in Queenstown, Co. Cork, (1858 & 1860). Maria says she was born 1862 England. My Great Grandmother was born in January 1864 in Dublin, and the last two girls were also born in Dublin, (1866 & 1868) I have the 3 Dublin birth certificates.

Her parents were John Cope & Maria Lismon (Lesyam and Lismeymone are the surnames on two of the birth certificates I have)

Maria Lismon (Lesyam and Lismeymone) was born c1835, father was James, a labourer. This is from her marriage certificate (1857 Queenstown, Co. Cork, Ireland)

The family lived and died in Ireland.
                                Last edited by WendyPusey; 07-03-11, 10:17.
                                Wendy

Comment

I think I would be very tempted to get the birth certificate for the East Stonehouse one.
                                  I suppose there is a small chance the family might be on the 1861 census, although I can't see them. What were the names of the two older children?
                                  Elaine

Comment

Yes, I was thinking of getting the certificate.

The two older children were John (1858) and Albert Cope (1860)
                                    Wendy

Comment

My Maria was married in 1857 and the one you found Val is unmarried!
                                      Wendy

Comment

cant help then

Comment

Working...
                                        X