Prison Hulks in the 1851 census?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prison Hulks in the 1851 census?

Does anyone know how I can locate the 1851 census entries for the prison hulks in Kent? (I have an Ancestry sub.)

My 3x gt uncle was very silly and got himself convicted of forging "an order for the payment of money" at Maidstone Assizes in July 1849. He was sentenced to 10 years transportation to Australia. The ship which carried him to Australia didn't actually sail until November 1852, so he must have spent 3 years in prison - probably in one of those hellish hulks.

His name was Edwin Thomas Hurst and he was born in 1830 in Lambeth, Surrey.

But I can't find him in the 1851 census, even if I just search for his initials... Any suggestions, anyone?
    Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Have you tried Hirst? Or Murst? It's amazing how badly transcribed some people can be - especially as prisoners' information would be supplied by one of the prison officers who wouldn't necessarily know or be bothered about accuracy.

I would imagine prison hulks would be in the enumeration district of the nearest onshore area. Have you looked through the Maidstone gaol entries, since he was tried there?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I did a search for Edw* born 1830 +/- 2 years in Surrey, relation prisoner and got 7 hits none of which look like your chap, but I can't see the images at the moment so can't check if there's a mistranscription.

Comment

Do you know if he was a writing clerk? There is an Ancestry transcription for Edwin J Storck aged 20, born Lambeth who is in Portland Convict Prison. Looking at the image it could well be Edwin T Hurst.

Jackie

Comment

FMP have him transcribed as "Edwin J Spiwick"! I agree it does look like Hurst on the image.

Comment

See what I mean about mistranscriptions? They're often beyond your wildest imaginings!

Comment

By George! I think you found him! It would never have occurred to me to look in Dorset. And you're right - it IS Hurst, not Storck and the age, occupation and place of birth all fit: it must be him.

Thank you all for your efforts!

Belinda
              Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

Working...
              X