No announcement yet.

Glasgow in circa 1791-any major event?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glasgow in circa 1791-any major event?

Hoping someone can help. Was there a compelling event that would make my entrenched Portsmouth district ancestors relocate to Glasgow .
    Anthony James Browne, wife Elizabeth Campion and children William, Mary & Betty moved from Alverstoke area to Glasgow where a further son was born in 1791 and also named Anthony James Brown.
    AJB jnr was christened 1792 at St Thomas in Portsmouth.
    Anthony James Browne snr was subsequently a cheesemonger, grocer, dealer and chapman(?) at 105 High St Portsmouth and was bankrupt in lengthy proceedings in 1821 continuing 1833.

Thanks

hscott21c

Searching: Buxey, Taulbut, Brown/e & Jannaway - Hampshire.

Try a site called "The Glasgow Story" - it has a lot of very interesting information.
    Glasgow was was undergoing industrialisation on a great scale at this time.
    Last edited by herky; 10-08-10, 11:57.
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Herky

Thanks for drawing my attention to this site. Could well be useful to "draw conclusions". I thought industrialisation might have been the drawcard - but with Anthony James Brown(e) being a grocer, maybe that was not the case. Unless he had a different vocation in 1791.

Anthony James Brown(e) JUNIOR was a member of the Corps of Royal Engineers and that could have explained the posting.

Thanks
      hscott21c

Searching: Buxey, Taulbut, Brown/e & Jannaway - Hampshire.

Comment

Working...
      X