Hand writing in wills - definitions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand writing in wills - definitions

A quick question I have an 1843 will written by Thamar Bugg spinister. In it she quite clearly "bequeaths unto my sister Eleanor Wagstaff......" but later in the will she "bequeaths unto my Mete(?) Amelia Albery" what I can't make out is the word. Attached (i hope) is the sentence I am refering to. All help gratefully received.

amelia albery.docx
    Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Could it be Nece - the third letter looks more like c than t to me - compare with the t in bequeath which is taller.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I think Judith's right: I've got some illustrations from a book about reading old handwriting and the first letter in the word looks a bit like (but not exactly) some of the versions of 'N' and that third letter looks exactly like a 'c'. In several of the old wills I've transcribed myself, the letter that looks to our modern eyes like an 'r' is actually a 'c'.
      Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

thanks both - i now just have to tie the nieces (there are two words like this in the will) to a sister or two. My money is on Eleanor Wagstaff as she is living with Amelia Albery in the 1841 census and Thamar has Amelia's husband as her executor but and it is a big but the info I have isn't adding up as I have found the marriage of an Amelia Eleanor to a James Albery but AE surname is quite clearly shown as Bacon! I can't find a Bugg to a Bacon or a Bacon or Bugg to a Wagstaff! I suppose this is the fun of family history research?!
        Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Comment

Working...
        X