Three Questions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three Questions!

Hi – I have three questions - Adolph Spilman passed away, October, 1903, aged 36, reg Barnet. He was at Colney Hatch Asylum in Barnet, not 100% sure if he was an inpatient or a staff member. Mania has been mentioned and also an occupation of Barber and Doctor. Does anybody know how I can find records for him? I looked at the UK Archives site and it says records are with the LMA.
    Can you request a search with the LMA by email or do you have to go there in person?

Second, not found Adolph (a.k.a. Abraham) and his family in 1901 (have in 1911). His wife was Rose/Rosey born 1871/2 and the children at that time were Mary/Marie born 1893 , Milly born 1899 and Nathan born 1897. By 1911 Rose (needleworker) and her children were living in Robert St, St Geo East. Around 1904 they were living in Lower Chapman Street by Commercial Road. The surname has shown as Speilman, Spelman and Spilman so far. I have info going forwards.

Third, Rose re-married to a Mr Cohen. Have not found a marriage so far.

I suggest you get his death certificate which should answer your question about whether he was a patient or a member of staff. Then you'll know whether you want staff or patient records.The LMA does do research but charges something like £20 an hour, so the more you can give them about where to look the cheaper it will be. Plus the death cert will give an exact date to work from.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I can't find them on 1901 either but from where they are living it doesn't sound to me as though the head of the household would be working so far away from his place of work so I suspect he was a patient.

Comment

Is Rose married to Mr Cohen in 1911?

Comment

It looks as though the Colney Hatch records are held by the LMA:

The Hospital Records (HOSPREC) Database was the result of a collaborative project between the Wellcome Library and The National Archives to bring together information about the existence and location of the records of UK hospitals. This information includes: the administrative details of the hospitals, and their status or type the location and covering dates of […]

Some records are also held by the Royal Free Hospital, which has a very good archives centre, but it doesn't look as though they hold the patient records.

Asylum records usually have a 100- or 70-year closure period, but it seems to depend on the local authority; in 2008 I had no trouble getting the asylum records of a great-aunt who died in 1931 (but not from the LMA).

Comment

Naomi, I'm sending you further info by pm. As I'm still not sure how much info I can (legally) add here from the 1911 census.
            WendyP

Comment

Hi everyone - thanks for all of the info. Due to receive the death cert this week..Rose is buried as Cohen....but her maiden name shows in 1911..I suppose there's a chance that she didn't marry Mr Cohen in a civil sense??

Comment

Working...
              X