Looking for William and Bessie Beach on 1901

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for William and Bessie Beach on 1901

I have a branch of my tree that I cannot find the 'twigs' for on the 1901 census.

Grace Agnes beach (born 1897 in Kings Lynn area) was at the home of her grandparents (John and Sarah Elmer) on the 1901 census in that area, but I just cannot find her parents.
    Her parents were William Beach and Bessie Elmer (Bessie born West Winch, Norfolk in 1878), who married in 1897.

Can anyone find them?
    What was William's DoB?

Thanks

Researching:
    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Had a good look but can`t find them.

In 1911 Grace is still with her grandparents, and the only Bessie Beach born Norfolk of the correct age is working as a servant in Kent, but it says she`s single......

There is a death for a William Beach in Wisbech Norfolk in Sep. 1897 the same qtr as Grace was registered, it says he`s 70 though....Do you have any details for him? have you found him on a census prior to his marriage to Bessie? I found her in 1881 and 1891.

Just taken a look at freebmd.....there is no Bessie/elizabeth Beach born and registered in Norfolk betweeen 1875 and 1880....

Nicky
    Last edited by nickyinsunnysussex; 08-08-10, 19:49. Reason: additional info.

Comment

There is a birth on Free BMD of a Grace Elmer in June qtr 1897 in Thetford district. Are you sure Bessie & William were married or did they marry after Grace's birth?
      My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

There is a death of a William Beach, aged 22, in Kings Lynn district Sept qtr 1889. Ooops sorry. Cancel that one , misread that as 1898 :(

Just found William & Bessie's marriage. Dec qtr 1896 in Freebridge (?) Lynn, Norfolk Vol 4b page 909.
        Last edited by LangleyValeSue; 08-08-10, 20:32.

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

sue,

Grace`s birth was registered Grace Agnes Beach Sept. qtr 1897 Kings L. Norfolk 4b 345. Though what a coincidence that there was also a Grace Elmer.

Nicky

Comment

Thanks Nicky, I have just found Grace Beach's birth reg. As you say, odd coincidence there was also a Grace Elmer registered at a similar time.
            I think this one is too difficult for my poor old brain :(

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Marriage was at West Winch, Dec 1st 1896
              William Henry Beach, 26, Bachelor, Policeman, residence West Winch, father Henry Beach, Foreman Bricklayer
              Bessie Elmer, 19, Spinster, no occ given, residence West Winch, father John Elmer, Pensioner
              after Banns by G E Alvis (Curate)
              signed William Beach, Bessie Elmer
              witnesses Edward Elmer, Annie Elmer, Fanny Lusher???
              From the Record Search pilot site, Norfolk Parish Registers
              Baptism West Winch
              Sept 12th 1897
              Grace Agnes
              parents William Henry & Bessie Beach
              abode King's Lynn, occupation Policeman

Jon

Comment

There is a record of a Wm Beach and Mrs Beach plus child leaving Plymouth on vessel "Ormuz" 18th september 1897 for Sydney!

Comment

The passenger list's on Ancestry, but it doesn't give any extra information, just "Mr Wm Beach, British" and "Mrs Beach and inft, British". The ship arrived in Sydney on 29th October 1897.

Comment

So if the infant was Grace she would have only been 3 or 4 months old when they went to Australia. By 1901 she is back in Norfolk with her grandparents, so are her parents still in Oz? Grace must be on an incoming passenger list somewhere surely.

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

No, sorry, I forgot to say - the infant was male.

So if it was the same family, they left Grace behind and went to Australia with her little brother, which seems odd.

Unless the first wife died and the Mrs Beach who went to Australia was a second wife?

I can't find a Bessie Beach in the NSW BMD index, or in the electoral rolls (but the online ones for NSW only start in 1930).

Comment

Many thanks Mary, Sue, Jon and Tony.

Jon's information helps with the DoB I needed.
                        I have put the information regarding the possible emigration to the USA in my notes, but do know that Grace Agness Beech stayed in England and later emigrated to Canada (1929) to marry my Gt Uncle William Poole, so I would assume it is more likely a red-herring.

Just a shame that there was no name of the child on the passenger list to look up birth.

Trev

Researching:
                        FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Via the Moose Jaw FHS, I have been put in contact with one of Bessie (nee Elmer)'s branch in the UK who, funnily enough, was looking for her in Canada at the same time as me.

He has passd me the following

Her policeman husband William Henry Beach P C 20 was medically retired from King's Lynn on the 17/9/1898 with a £15-00 gratuity.

He believes her husband William Henry Beach must have died after leaving the police and Bessie left her daughter with her grand parents Sarah Elmer and went to work in the Kent area where she had an aunt who was in domestic service, It seems she wanted to hide her earlier life for some reason.

The 1911 census shows Bessie working as a servant in the home of Alfred Cork a Stockbroker at Berryfield, Kent it states she is 33 years of age and is claiming is single born in Norfolk, she is one of 3 servants.

He has a marriage cert of Bessie Beach 39 to Charles Sims Bax 31 20/3/1917 at Bromley register office he a private in the 5th Dragoon Guards she a cook (domestic) spinster, father Henry Beach deceased a farm-labourer marriage by licence witnesses both unknown.

So I thought I'd post the follow-up for those who had been looking.

Question:
                          Why can we not find the death of William?

Could it be possible the William Beach going to Sydney was one and the same and he had a 'second family' he took with him?
                          It would give a reason for Bessie wanting to ignore her past?

Just a shame it may never be answered, as my contact is very elderly and it would have been good to answer a question that he has pondered for many years.

Researching:

Comment

Hello Trevor I know this is an old post Bessie was my first cousin and I also have her married to Charles Sims Bax. But I have not been able to find Williams death either. I live in Australia and am related to the Elmers. James Frederick Elmore (Elmer) was my Great Grandfather born West Winch 1844 and immigrated to Australia in 1868. Take Care Lynette

Comment

just parking this here

1871 census: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...try&h=28961310

Source Citation
                              Class: RG10; Piece: 191; Folio: 70; Page: 45; GSU roll: 823311

have to nip to school now but i'll be back in a while.
                              Julie
                              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Yep, nearly parked it myself last night, he is around the area on the later census returns got confused with a Henry and Elizabeth 1891 with a William next door to the police station and a carpenter. I was searching for a very confusing branch in my family and ran out of time last night to work it right through.
                                Last edited by Elaine; 07-03-15, 20:34.
                                Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                                http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

hello William Henry Beach and Bessie Elmer married 1st Dec 1896 West Winch Williams Father is Henry Beach Foreman Bricklayer. It does start to get confusing. Thanks Lynette

Comment

Working...
                                  X