Cornwall Parish records available to browse on Family Search Pilot Site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cornwall Parish records available to browse on Family Search Pilot Site

I haven't seen this posted (although I could be mistaken:o) so I thought I would provide the link.

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

You click on Cornwall (there are also two parishes for Devon) and there is a scroll-down list where you can find the parish you want. I believe these registers will only be available to view for a short time. The records will be searchable.

I have had such fun the last 24 hours, although I am going rather boss-eyed.

St Blazey is not available on Cornwall Online Parish Clerks so I have been trawling through the records, finding new information and confirming information I already had.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Elizabeth,

I just wanted to say thank you VERY much for drawing my attention to this. I've just taken a sneaky look and it's already been a great help - plus, it's always a bonus to see the actual documents! I'm off to dive in and make the most of this whilst it's available!

moulie11
    Luke Mouland
    Genealogist, Historian & Writer
    Kith & Kin Research
    Blog: www.kithandkinresearch.posterous.com

Comment

I'm pleased you are enjoying it, moulie 11. I have been saving and printing for the last 24 hours.
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Yes, I think it will be a late night for me! Glad you're having success as well. If only there were schemes like this for all counties, eh? I don't think I'd be going to bed for weeks, though...
        Luke Mouland
        Kith & Kin Research

Comment

Norfolk registers are available on the same site, as are the Bishops Transcripts for Durham.
          Jay

Comment

Jay,

Well, now I won't see my bed for days. I've very recently been trying to trace a family from Norfolk, so this has just blown it wide open. Thanks for pointing that out - much appreciated.

moulie11
            Luke Mouland
            Kith & Kin Research

Comment

Originally posted by moulie11 View Post
              Jay,

Well, now I won't see my bed for days. I've very recently been trying to trace a family from Norfolk, so this has just blown it wide open. Thanks for pointing that out - much appreciated.

moulie11
              The site is images only for the Norfolk records, but there is a project ongoing to transcribe all Norfolk baptisms here
              An independent transcription source for free genealogical records for the UK.

Researching:
              FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

It's wonderful to be able to see the actual register entries, especially as they often have more info than the IGI transcriptions. I've finally found baptisms for my gt x 2 grandmother and 6 of her 7 siblings and the family addresses mean I can work out when and where they moved between censuses. Brilliant!
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by TrevorFranklin View Post
                  The site is images only for the Norfolk records, but there is a project ongoing to transcribe all Norfolk baptisms here
                  http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....aafl/index.htm
                  The site if images only for Cornwall & Durham too.
                  Jay

Comment

Oh dear! lots of likely sources of OH's family's records, and I've found a lot already.

Sadly, while browsing for events in the early registers (Bap M Bur altogether) I came across this in Mevagissey:
                    Burials 1812:
                    May 18th William HENWOOD. 13. ~ suffocated in N Brokensha's Limekiln
                    Horrendous.

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

This sort of thing highlights why you just might not find a burial/death record for a person in your tree:

Burials 1823:
                      11 April A dead human body (a male). Found cast on the shore from the sea, within this Parish.
                      Christine
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine, I have found lots of similar records. A lad of 7 who burned to death, men in mine accidents, also drownings.

The St Austell and St Blazey records made very sad reading when I found lots of children with "hooping cough" or "measles" or "smallpox" annotated against them. One poor couple lost 3 children in as many days. They were their first three children and left them to start all over again.,
                        Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 09-08-10, 18:58.
                        Elizabeth
                        Research Interests:

Comment

Every death is sad in one way or another, but some just seem terribly poignant. The ones you found, Elizabeth, are more examples of how hard life must have been.

Christine

Comment

Thanks Elizabeth.............had a quick look for my Rubys in Cornwall.

You may not see me prior to Christmas.......so I will wish you all a good one now................lol

Comment

The St Austell and St Blazey records made very sad reading when I found lots of children with "hooping cough" or "measles" or "smallpox" annotated against them. One poor couple lost 3 children in as many days. They were their first three children and left them to start all over again
                              My great grandparents who were living at St Blazey lost their 2nd (18 months old) and 3rd ( 6 weeks old) children to scarlet fever in the the August and November of 1851 :(
                              Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Daphne, how sad. It always churns my stomach when I find children dying from my line. We are so lucky to have innoculations against most of the childhood diseases.
                                Elizabeth
                                Research Interests:

Comment

Christine, thank you for letting us know of this. I have family who came from St Mabyn, I think I found
                                  a baptism for 1816

Clare

Comment

ooh if only the parish records for Devon- Uffculme come online I will be a very very happy bunny!!!
                                    Julie
                                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Julie I wish the parish records for most of Devon would come online especially Walkingham and Tavistock.
                                      Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Medway have some registers online at Medway City Arc

[eb-GB]Adlib Internet Server is a complete application to make the collections of archives, museums and libraries accessible over the internet. Adlib Internet Server is an add-on to the professional collection management applications Adlib Archive, Adlib Museum and Adlib Library.

Unfortunately they are not indexed so it means searching trough them all.
                                        http://buswalks.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                        X