Scottish Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish Records

Is there a site that gives Scottish BMDs, as close to present day as possible please and preferably free?

Hi the only one I use is Scotlands People but its pay as you go but worth it as it allows you to see births, marriages, deaths and censuses. The good thing about Scottish records is that a death extract gives you the parents names as does a birth but the birth also gives you marriage date of parents so worthwhile.

£6 for 30 credits and it costs 5 to view and copy an extract

Worthwhile but can get a bit pricey but it has given me so much information

Steven

PS I have a couple of credits left if you had a name that I could search for you to get you started. As much info as you had would help eg approx date of birth and place of birth and I could try to find a set of parents for you

Comment

Thanks for that Steven.
      It's a marriage I was looking for, probably in the 1990s.

Comment

Hi,
        A 1990's marriage will only give you the index but no cert image.
        Scotlands People has 100 year closure for births, 75 for marriage and 50 for death - or something like that.
        Sorry that this isn't much help.

PS - You may be able to order an extract by post but that would cost about £10
        Last edited by herky; 07-08-10, 13:03.
        herky
        Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

That's true Herky - but you can order an extract (basically the same as ordering the cert. in E&W from GRO) and pay the requisite fee. Not sure whether yoiu want the cert. or just want to ID a poss. marriage - you can search scotlandspeople for free, as long as you register with them (free), and if you know both sets of names you might just come up with one hit - if more you can change dates and locations to find out where and when it happened. That can take you a long way without getting the cert.

Comment

Thanks both.
            I've just registered with Scotlandspeople, so going to take a look.

Comment

You can't see the image of births under 100 years, Marriages under 75 years or Deaths under 50 years online. You can purchase a certificate though for £10 ish.

However if someone is going to Edinburgh they might be able to transcribe the info for you. There are blank forms on here to use to make it easier or Scotlandspeople sell them or used to for 10p each.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

JBee - very interesting...

Where / how can you transcribe the records in Edinburgh?
                Where are the blank forms here (had a search but can't find anything)?

Thanks

Comment

You can see all the records and transcribe as many as you want for £10 a day in Edinburgh at the Scotlands People Centre.
                  The centre is just a few minutes walk fro the railway station and is a the bottom of Princes St. You can even get a free 2 hour taster session.
                  Have a look at the Scotlands People Centre website for more info.
                  herky
                  Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

These are our downloadable forms

I would advise using different coloured paper for births deaths and marriages - as do Scotlandspeople - as it makes it much easier to file.

Yes Scotlandspeople is just across from Waverley Station in Edinburgh and its well worth the £10 a day search fee.

I went in when it opened and left when it closed - never having moved from my seat!!! lol

You can print off the bdm/census/will images like you do on the online site for about 50p a page iirc - but you can't print the recent ones births under 100 years , marriages 75 years and deaths under 50 years but you can see them and transcribe the details.

If its only one certificate info you need - you could ask if anyone is going - I am end of September but someone might be going sooner.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Thanks JBee and Herky

Comment

Herky - I've looked up the details for the day search you mentioned in Edinburgh, for which thanks. However,from what I can see, you still have to pay £1 to save any records so, unless I'm missing something, it seems, with the £10 day fee just to get started, that it's at least as expensive as doing it all from the comfort and convenience of your own armchair! Or am I missing something?

Comment

£10 gives you the opportunity to research/browse all the info on birth marriage death records including the most recent as well as the census. Fantastic for those with scottish roots. Just wish there was an english equivalent.

If you've only got the one certificate to get and you have the correct details then it's probably not worth your while but if you find there's other scottish ancestry to search then its a fantastic resource as you can transcribe the info for free or print off the same images that's on scotlandspeople for 50p a sheet (I think) and you don't use credits for the wrong entries.

Sometimes if the info is a bit vague then it can cost quite a bit using scotlandspeople if you view

Comment

OK, I see how it works. I think I'll wait until the 1911 census is available and make a trip there and see how I get on!

Comment

Working...
                            X