Who are George Mason's parent's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who are George Mason's parent's?

I am looking for the parent's of George Mason. The problem I have is I haven't been able to find his birth. This is all I know.

Married 1868 Martha Gill - St. George in the Fields, Mddx
    Father - John Mason - Shoemaker

I have George with wife Martha on all census 1871-1911. He always gives place of birth as St. George in the East and year of birth 1850, he is either down as George, George J or George Joseph.

I have only found one John Mason - shoemaker with wife Sarah, but their son George is born 1849 (which seems OK) but born St. Luke. Found his baptism but he is George Richard Mason. Could this be my George who has changed his middle name?

Any help much appreciated.

Just for reference: this marriage is in q3 1868, St. Giles, Middlesex vol. 1b page 793. Had a look in the LMA marriages on Ancestry but couldn't find it.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

The only George Joseph Mason that I have found born around 1850 was born in Lincolnshire.
      The baptism of George Richard Mason shows he was born 24 August 1849 and baptised 16 Sep 1849 at St Thomas, Charterhouse, Middlesex aaand the address of his parents was 64 Noble Street..
      This George had a sister Elizabeth.
      Found nothing new and nothing to confirm he is the same person unless a witness is his sister

Comment

Uncle John & Colin - thank you for your replies.

I have the marriage certificate for George and Martha, witnesses Thomas Gill and Jane ? So back to square one I'm afraid.
        I have traced back the John Mason the shoemaker with son George Richard and have found that he married a Frances Lurkins in 1822 in Norfolk, Frances died in 1837 leaving John with 4 children. In 1841 they are with John in the workhouse. He then seems to have abandoned them and moved to London where he meets Sarah ? Their first child is named Frances Elizabeth, this is the Elizabeth Colin found but she has dropped the Frances.

Comment

I have a couple of ancestors who added their middle name later in life - at least it wasn't given on their birth certificate. Maybe George is just plain 'George' without the middle name in earlier records?

Anne

Comment

I hope you're right Anne, but I was hoping he didn't like the middle name Richard so changed it to Joseph. Long shot I know!

Comment

Working...
            X