Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would someone kindly go on a hunt for me, when they have the time: Perry (again)!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would someone kindly go on a hunt for me, when they have the time: Perry (again)!

Please does anyone feel like helping me with my query?

Some time ago I featured on this sites WYTYA, with lots of new suggestions for me, but still sadly I could not move forward. Now after checking out GR forums someone commented on using Google books search engine and taking up this suggestion I have uncovered some new ideas.

If you remember I was looking for a George Perry surgeon, who would be the father of my Great Grandfather. Julie (Darksecretz) suggested medical directories, which highlighted those I had already found in census returns. I then spent time trying to eliminate possible fathers. Looking at my Google book returns I wonder if I have been hasty in one of these.

Today I have found out that in 1860 a George Joseph Perry Gent was to be Hon Assistant Surgeon in the 1st Hampshire Mounted Rifles. If you remember, I know that my G.G. Grandfather travelled around the world, India, S.America, so the suggestion was that he could have been a service man. The family story was that he was a ships surgeon. It was then suggested that another George Perry in the Scots fusiliers , may fit. However the time line wasn’t quite right.

This same George J Perry, that I found today, also appears to have joined the Poor Law Medical services, Melksham union in 1860. This may have no baring on things but my G.Grandfather was in the Salvation Army and also did work with the 'poor'. However this is probably a red herring

My request is would someone mind checking George Joseph on the census returns please. I vaguely remember he was in Wales then moved to Hampshire. His wife was Aususta and also had a daughter of the same name. I initially ruled him out as his son George, was born in the 1840’s, whereas from marriage/death/ certificates and census, I believe him to be born between 1851-1854. However other information fits, ie George Perry senior had died by the time George jnr married for the 2nd time in 1881, which fits this man. I believe there was a family dispute that there was a family dispute that was not resolved for many years and post George snr dying.

As is always the way, as I had come to a standstill and not getting anywhere with my family search, thinking to save a little money I cancelled my Ancestry subscription on the 27th July!!!, so I would be most grateful if someone could look at this family and follow the family especially the son George if they have any spare time and see if he disappears circa 1880’s.

Thank you.

I really appreciate any help.
    Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

It looksa as if Augusta Perry died in 1871 in Melksham, which is where they were living on the 1871 census, but I cannot find George Joseph Perry after that.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thank you Wendy, so it does look like they could be one and the same peron, as I found a marriage for a George Joseph in 1874, so I wasn't so sure. I have also found a death in 1879 for a George Joseph in Kingston. It's just in the back of my mind I have a feeling I found them living in Hampshire.

I am sorry to ask more, but is George jnr around, I vaguelly think I found him at a school in one census. Looks like I'm going to have to reregister.

Thank you Wendy for all your help past and present.
      Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Sorry if I am a bit confused having not read the WDYTYA, I am laid up today so had some time to spare. I have found a George Joseph Perry (surgeon) from Henbury Gloucestershire who married Augusta Booth 1838
        They had the following children:-
        George 1838
        Augusta 1841
        Harriet 1845
        Edith 1849

In 1841 they were all living in Reynoldston, Gower, Wales Still there in 1851 (no George).
        1861 they were living in Droxford, Hampshire
        1871 Melksham, Wiltshire

There is a George Booth Perry 1861 visiting William Dowling & family in Hampshire. Born Aylburton, Gloucestershire 1839 Occ: BA Trinity College Cambridge.
        Couldn't find him in 1851.
        By 1871 he had married an Emma Sophia and was the vicar of Appledore and Ebony.
        I think this could be the same George because of the 'Booth'.

Also, one of Augusta's brother's was a clergyman (coincidence?).
        George Joseph's brother Henry was also a surgeon.

If you need the census pm me your e-mail and I can send them
        Hope this is the right family, I assume George Booth Perry was your great grandfather?
        Yvonne in Swansea

Comment

Dover War Memorial
          PERRY-AYSCOUGH, HENRY GEORGE CHARLES Captain, Connaught Rangers, 4th Bn. Secondary Regiment: Royal Irish Rifles. Age: 40 Date of Death: 25/09/1915 Additional information: Son of the late Rev. G. B. Perry-Ayscough and the Hon. E. S. Perry-Ayscough. Served in the South African Campaign and West African Frontier Force.

Co-author of “With the Russians in Mongolia” with Captain R.B. Otter-Barry, published 1914. Son of The Rev. George Booth Perry-Ayscough, Vicar of Brabourne and Rector of Monks Horton, Kent (died 1885), and Emma Sophia Parnell, daughter of Baron Congleton (died 1910). Commissioned 1900 with the South Cork Light Infantry Militia. Born Brabourne 1875. 1891; school boy, 94 Maison Dieu Rd., Dover, son of Emma, widow, living on own means (moved to Dover 1886). 1881; Brabourne Vicarage, George and Emma Perry (no Ayscough)

The Peerage.com
          Hon. Emma Sophia Parnell1
          F, #17477, d. 26 November 1910

Hon. Emma Sophia Parnell|d. 26 Nov 1910|p1748.htm#i17477|Henry William Parnell, 3rd Baron Congleton|b. 23 Mar 1809\nd. 10 Oct 1890|p1747.htm#i17469|Sophia Bligh|d. 5 Apr 1846|p1747.htm#i17470|Henry B. Parnell, 1st Baron Congleton|b. 3 Jul 1776\nd. 8 Jun 1842|p1749.htm#i17487|Lady Caroline E. Dawson-Damer|d. 16 Feb 1861|p1749.htm#i17488|Colonel Hon. William Bligh|b. 25 Sep 1775\nd. 8 Aug 1845|p2929.htm#i29282|Lady Sophia Stewart|d. 1809|p2929.htm#i29283|

Last Edited=15 Oct 2007
          Consanguinity Index=0.0%
          Hon. Emma Sophia Parnell was the daughter of Henry William Parnell, 3rd Baron Congleton and Sophia Bligh.1 She married Reverend George B. Perry Ayscough on 17 May 1866.1 She died on 26 November 1910.1
          Her married name became Ayscough.
          Citations
          1.[S37] Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes (Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003), volume 1, page 876. Hereinafter cited as Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition.
          Reverend George B. Perry Ayscough1
          M, #17478, d. 31 August 1885

Last Edited=15 Oct 2007
          Reverend George B. Perry Ayscough married Hon. Emma Sophia Parnell, daughter of Henry William Parnell, 3rd Baron Congleton and Sophia Bligh, on 17 May 1866.1 He died on 31 August 1885.1
          Reverend George B. Perry Ayscough was the Vicar at Brabourne, Kent, England.1
          Citations
          1.[S37] Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes (Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003), volume 1, page 876. Hereinafter cited as Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition.

Roll of Honour Sussex/Lewes
          PERRY-AYSCOUGH
          Henry Charles George
          Captain. 2nd Battalion, Royal Irish Rifles. 3rd Dvision Killed in action near Hooge 25 September 1915. Aged 39. Son of The Rev G. B, & The Hon Mrs E. S. Perry-Ayscough. Brother of Miss Perry-Ayscough of 56, Southover High Street, Lewes. Served in the South African War and the West African Frontier Force. Formerly with the Connaught Rangers. Commemorated on The Menin Gate Memorial Ypres, Belgium
          Yvonne in Swansea

Comment

Yvonne: Thnk you so much for your hard work, but sadly that now dicounts this family.

Yes it is the family I was thinking about, Wales-Hampshire but sadly the son is not correct. My memory was that their George was born c 1845-1849...1838, makes him ) far too old, because my George died 1935 and the fact that you have uncovered him in the services as George Booth, which makes sense as Augusta was a Booth before she married.

As you have not seen my WDYTYA, my G Grandfather (direct paternal) Is elusive pre his second marriage in 1881 (pre the cenus) where his wife is still working in service to a vicar as a single woman and he is nowhere to be found. Their first child came long in 1892. So I am missing at least one wife and any knowledge of him prior to 1881. From marriage certs I have found his father to be a surgeon and dead by 1881 (hence this family possibility). There are many fanciful family stories, many of which I have found to be the truth, but this just eludes me.

I am sure many family researchers would be thankful for the information I have post 1881, but I often wonder if he is one of the first men to use identity theft.... only joking, I think.

Once again for taking so much time over this and it is sad for me that there is no connection as I only live a few miles away from Appledore. And yet when I think about it there is a thread of religious flavour running through my ancestors, although I think thi relates more to the age and middle class than an actual match.

If I can help you in any way with any information from Devon please let me know, as you come from Swansea there may be a Devon connecction that I could help you with.
            Bubblebelle x

Comment

Well at least you have another to eliminate :-)

Name Relation Condition/
              Yrs married Sex Age Birth
              Year Occupation Where Born Original
              census

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PERRY, Arthur Head Married M 55 1856 Sanitary Advisers And Licensed Values St Jago Club S Annie Resident VIEW
              PERRY, Edith Annie Wife Married
              21 years F 45 1866 Tambourne London VIEW
              PERRY, Dorothy Annie Daughter Single M 19 1892 Ipswich Essex VIEW
              PERRY, Edward Pant Son M 17 1894 Grocers Shop Assistant St John Ward London VIEW
              PERRY, Percival David Daughter M 14 1897 School St John Ward London VIEW
              PERRY, Maurice Frederick Son M 9 1902 Firmingham Essex VIEW
              PERRY, Ernest Cecil Son M 5 1906 Firmingham Essex VIEW
              STARR, Thomas Visitor Married M 21 1890 Tobacconist And Confectioner Shopkeeper Ane Hertfordshire VIEW

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RG number:
              RG14 Piece:
              7093 Reference:
              RG14PN7093 RG78PN347 RD130 SD1 ED26 SN34

Registration District:
              Hendon Sub District:
              Harrow Enumeration District:
              26 Parish:
              Wembley

Address:
              66 London Road Wembley County:
              Middlesex