No announcement yet.

Another "Always get the cert!" story...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another "Always get the cert!" story...

Hannah Brooks married Richard Podmore in 1872, found them both on later censuses etc with children. Hannah states born Clough, Derbyshire. I find a Hannah Brooks of the right age born in Derbyshire on earlier censuses, do a bit more digging around, feel happy enough and so lay claim to that Hannah and her family. The ancestors go waaay back, to the original Kinders of Kinder Scout in the 1600's etc. Feel all very pleased with myself. Few months later looking around on Ancestry find that Hannah in a tree marrying a totally different chap, but with documented certificates! ******, think I. So I get the cert and....

yup...

my Hannah is not that Hannah :o:o:o Different father, and not sharing the same surname with Hannah as a spinster, hence I'm looking at a step family too. Have since managed to find my Hannah with the step father & family but am still searching for birth family details, and as she was born and mother remarried between censuses it's going to be very difficult.

So, all together now:

ALWAYS GET THE CERT!!!

:o Kate :o

Ah, so we're not allowed bu@@er then? Apologies, I didn't realise.

K x

Comment

That's the automatic swear bleeper Kate! :D

That's a good tale on why we should get certificates to prove these connections

Comment

But if we never made mistakes we wouldn't learn from them and be able to apply our knowledge to help ourselves and others!

It teaches us that we can assume too much sometimes. But if you'd got the cert earlier it would have been cheaper...
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Wish I could count how much I have spent on certificates only to find - wrong one. My sister Caroline who started on family history research before me always says follow the ABC rule.
          Ask everyone.
          Believe nothing.
          Until you have the Certificate.
          Works every time.
          Linda - Happy Hunting

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Comment

Except when they told porkies on the certificate ....

Comment

Originally posted by Blackberry View Post
              Except when they told porkies on the certificate ....
              Ah but! you can't blame yourself for that
              Margaret

Comment

I have a cert and one person that causes me some concern... a typed copy of the wedding cert shows his father as a Potter yet the man I have as his father was a Hatter... I queried this with the Registrars office who kindly sent me a photocopy of the part that showed his occupation and it was clearly a Potter and James Taylor was the only one who did not put an X.
                I am not aware that there were any Potters in Oldham in 1868
                Also his birth cert states that his father was a Road Workman so unless a Hatter was a Road Workman for a short time I have taken a wrong turn.... but no others fit

Comment

It's worth saying that, had a local archivist been responsible for a transcribed marriage cert for my great-grandparents, I'd have wondered why a family with a cashier for a father would have ended up as general labourers. The given occupation of my Gx2-g-father did look like "cashier"... unless you'd already found the family in the censuses, and knew he was a "carter".

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Always get the certs.

Just jumping in, here, ( new member)
                    I GOT the marriage cert, of my grandmother, as I knew nothing about her, except who she had married. One of the witnesses was a Florence May, so then set to work finding them on the census. Father was a Samuel. When I found the family, it gave as the head being Samuel, and a sister Florence. Dates around the same as mine. I knew the family came from London but never knew where my grandmother had been born, have no-one living who knew, either.
                    I proceeded to follow this family, and when I found that, way back, the "great great grandfather" of my Annie was a well known artist, was really pleased. I got loads of info on him, went to his grave, which was in a vault. I put flowers on the little vase that hung on the vault plaque.
                    I have been doing this research, now for some 6 years. Just recently I had someone ask my about my connection to the family, on one of the other websites.
                    When I told him my connection, he said that he was doing some research for his old uncle who was related to this family. In fact Annie was his sister, and a spinster.
                    To cut a long story short, I realised , when he sent me the death cert, of her, still a spinster, and showed me the family on 1911 census, with Samuel still very much alive. My marriage cert had said that 'father deceased'
                    I have no access to the 1911 census, so didn't know.
                    I have restarted my research with my grandmother's family, and the same person, got me on the right track, again, so even WITH the certs you can still go wrong lol
                    Thank you

Comment

Working...
                    X