No announcement yet.

What do you think Barbara's surname is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think Barbara's surname is?

Hi,

I'd be grateful for your thoughts on her surname...

What do you think? We're talking 1749 NE Scotland here.
    Kind regards,
    William
    Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

IGI has transcribed it as MCNORTTERER
    I would be tempted to agree - the letter "t" on "this" and in the word "matrimonially" are uncrossed - and the letter "l" in "matrimonially" is more looped at the top.
    Elaine

Comment

You're too clever by half, Elaine! I knew that it was on the IGI and was hoping for an unbiased opinion!
      I can't find any other McNortterer's anywhere else in the world ever :(
      So I'm thinking that it's not McNortterer!

Besides which, the IGI references are all submitted rather then extracted records...

Any other thoughts?
      Kind regards,
      William

Comment

lol
        My first thought was McNorllerer - but looking at the IGI transcription and then comparing the lettering I would go with McNortterer.

I've just done a bit of googling and cannot find anything else that matches either of them - so your guess is as good as mine! :D
        Elaine

Comment

I think the 5th letter is an i not an r. It's nothing like the other 'r's in the piece. Can't help with the rest.
          Glen

Comment

Originally posted by Oakum Picker View Post
            I think the 5th letter is an i not an r. It's nothing like the other 'r's in the piece. Can't help with the rest.
            yes, I think you are right there
            Elaine

Comment

There is some McNoitterer's in Moray, for example --
              MARGAT MCNOITTERER Pedigree
              Female

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Event(s):
              Birth:
              Christening: 27 OCT 1744 Edinkillie, Moray, Scotland

Death:
              Burial:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Parents:
              Father: DAVID MCNOITTERER Family

Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date.

Katherine

Comment

What about mcnamara, didnt know how to write, so the priest listened

mm

Comment

Katherine - thanks for finding that! It's the correct parish too...surely the same family.
                  And I think that Tom & Elaine are right about the 5th letter being an 'o'.

Thanks to marymog as well - though I wonder where the 'm' of mcnamara went to?

So, definitely some progress - it looks to me like she was probably a sister to David.
                  I'll see if I can find the image of Margat's baptism and post that too.
                  Last edited by wulliam; 05-08-10, 19:42.
                  Kind regards,
                  William

Comment

Here's Margat's baptism record:

It looks more and more like McNoitterer, doesn't it - all the lower case 't's are missing the crossbar...
                    Last edited by wulliam; 05-08-10, 17:26.
                    Kind regards,
                    William

Comment

After a gap of a few months, I've found another possible member of the family here:

The IGI suggests that this Barbara's surname is McNuccoter - the image is from a 1724 marriage in the same parish as the previous McNoitterer's. Unfortunately it is rather blurred - nothing I can do about that.

If anyone has any further suggestions for what this name might be, I'd be very pleased to hear!
                      Kind regards,
                      William

Comment

And a few minutes later I find from a google search:

On February 28, he wrote from Forres that he had just " 'listed on the road-
                        side John Macknockiter from Edinkillie, and a lad, Angus Cameron from
                        Dallas."

I'm sure it's the same name each time, and almost certainly the same family...
                        Kind regards,
                        William

Comment

i read the first image as mcnormerer, which i would have said was mcnamara screwed up. i cant think of any words in existance now for your surname, it might be one that died out?

Comment

Hi kylejustin - thanks for your thoughts!

I've now found that McKnockiter is a recognised surname (see http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/McKnockiter) with some wonderfully imaginative variants...think I'm going to go with this theory for now rather than McNamara, simply because there are no Mcnamara's anywhere to be seen at all!

Thanks again though for your time!
                            Kind regards,
                            William

Comment

you could look up all the variants on scotlandspeople. if it is a rare surname, it shouldnt take too long to find most of the family members.

Comment

I am reminded of the broadcaster James McNaughtie, pronounced Mc Nocktee...

OC

Comment

kylejustin - good idea...and here we go:

Macknockater, Macknockiter, Macknockter, Macknocter, Mccnockater, Mcknockater, Mcknocketer, Mcknockiter, Mcknockter, Mcknocter, Mcknuckteor, Mcnocater, Mcnockater, Mcnocter

What a mixture! But at least it's something to work with.

OC - that's an interesting possibility!
                                  Kind regards,
                                  William

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                    I am reminded of the broadcaster James McNaughtie, pronounced Mc Nocktee...
                                    To be pedantic, McNochtie (as in loch and Sassenach)
                                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Yes, couldn't think how to demonstrate the catarrhal (sp?) ch sound!

OC

Comment

Working...
                                      X