How to get back to Scots, Wilsons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get back to Scots, Wilsons

I am Tony, (compingnut), and am able to do FTs using bmds and censuses. Have got back to 1766, John Wilson, b Upholland, Lancs. Using Lancashire Online Pariuh Clerk Project I trawl thro long lists but it seems mostly guesswork, e.g most of family employed a nail makers, 1750 t0 1850's.How can I tie bdms together that come from Parish Registers.
    Also, I have the onerous task of having to prove we wilsons are descended from the Dreadful Gunn clan of Sutherland. I mean I can't work backwards , can I?

Hi Tony and welcome to FTF. I think this post really needs to be on Research Qs & As, where you will, I am sure, get help.
    Stella passed away December 2014

Comment

Have moved it across.
      Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by compingnut View Post
        I am Tony, (compingnut), and am able to do FTs using bmds and censuses. Have got back to 1766, John Wilson, b Upholland, Lancs. Using Lancashire Online Pariuh Clerk Project I trawl thro long lists but it seems mostly guesswork, e.g most of family employed a nail makers, 1750 t0 1850's.How can I tie bdms together that come from Parish Registers.
        Also, I have the onerous task of having to prove we wilsons are descended from the Dreadful Gunn clan of Sutherland. I mean I can't work backwards , can I?
        To start with your last sentence! It's no good trying to shoe-horn your family into another one just because you want it to fit. You should aim to be Cinderella not an Ugly Sister! And that means working backwards, buying the certificates, just like they harp on about on Heir Hunters. That way you might get back to the start of civil registration with reasonable certainty. Scottish records are usually much better than English ones, though the Scottish civil BMD records only start at 1855.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Uncle John is correct Tony.
          It may cost a little but in Scotland it is possible to get back many generations in a single evening by downloading certs from the Scotlands people website.
          I will cost about £1.20 for a cert and you get it immediately so you can confirm or disregard a person straight away.
          The info on Scots cert is very good.
          Post some names - not living - if you would like a little help with the Scottish side to get you going. I can't say I will be able to help but the I will give it a go and this is a great site for folk to give advice and support.
          Good Luck.
          herky
          Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
            Have moved it across.
            Many thanks. Sorry for delay but have to keep up using my caravan (it costs a bomb, (yearly fee) Bear with , will take me a bit to get used to naVIGATING AROUND. tHANKS AGAIN

Comment

thanks herky. Will take this on board. I must plough on in Lancashire for the moment,visit grave of last known Wilson. I will keep your offer in mind. My cousin, an IOM Caledonian Society member (????) thinks we go back to Bonny Pronce Charlie's army, so thats a possible. keep your eye on me, won't you?

Comment

Good advice thoi' I have yet to purchase a cert from a parish. had a bad experience with a vicar who just wanted his £15 and gave a brief list of Paul family members buried in his graveyard! Can you buy Parish Register certs on internet and are Church volunteers willing to do a bit of searching?

Comment

The Old Parish Registers - are available to download on-line from Scotlands People, same price as statutory registration records, about £1.20p. The Old parish Registers are pre registration ie pre 1855
                  It is well worth doing some research on Family search (IGI), which is free, to narrow things down first.
                  Last edited by herky; 10-08-10, 14:37.
                  herky
                  Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Have done all that on family search, thats how I got to 1766 helped a lot by censuses too. Now trying to master parish Registers, Ie St Thomas The martyr, Uholland lancashire. Thats where John Wilson born 1766 is born. Also a John Wilson b 1765, with a John Wilson living with his son Thomas 1841 census aged 75 and a nailmaker. Many of Wilsons who follow were nailmakers, women too.
                    There, s an assistant priest there who deals with bdms etc but not sure how to approach him. Its three miles from where I live but have not found the time with lots of things happening at home. Also I try to keep summer clear of FTing (caravan). Have bought a Daily Mail laptop and am trying to find best and easiest and cheapest way of getting on wireless. Any experts out there?

Comment

Don't do what I did though - thought I knew who my grandfather was (wrong christian name) and followed this line for 200 years buying numerous certificates, parish records, census's along the way too. If only I'd purchase the first certificate I wouldn't have wasted my time, money and energy on a completely different family.

Should have known better - you have to go back step by step and verify your findings - there could be skeletons, other marriages, name changes etc etc and you wouldn't know otherwise and go completely off on a tangent like I did.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                        Have moved it across.
                        Where the sun shines, Elaine. Where's that? You can't do FTing in Spain can you?
                        By the way I do not live in Scotland, I live in Wigan and have a quite broad Lancashire accent. So in a way I am fighting this Scottish thing, but I have got to try!

Comment

Good advice. JBee. Its just the Parish record angle.

Comment

knuckles rapped. I know I am impatient but a cousin keeps telling me that info that we were Scots was passed down from an ancestor to Grandad and then to his oldest son, William Wilson and then to our oldest cousin. he attends Caledonian Society meetings in IOM. Meanwhile all I can come up with is six generations all living in or near to Wigan. Its annoying because the last generation, I cannot find out the wife of John Wilson. The Parish priest has all the details and the church has a website with births etc listed going back 300 plus years. Which web site can I purchase bmd certs or the scraps of info that seem to pass for certs way back then. I thought of volunteering to search the recortds myself

Comment

Originally posted by compingnut View Post
                              Where the sun shines, Elaine. Where's that? You can't do FTing in Spain can you?
                              By the way I do not live in Scotland, I live in Wigan and have a quite broad Lancashire accent. So in a way I am fighting this Scottish thing, but I have got to try!
                              Sorry, have just seen your post.
                              Yes I live in Spain. Relatively easy to do family history research back to the early 1800s by using online resources and getting certificates to back up my findings. Gets a bit harder when you start going back into the 18th century as you are then relying on parish records which are not always available online and it's difficult to view the originals!
                              For me, it's more than just names and dates and seeing how far back I can go - I enjoy researching the social history side of things and finding out what my ancestors did.
                              Elaine

Comment

The Church has its own website where they have a contact us e mail addy so why dont you give them a try first and ask about parish registers, my local church of a similar age has a charge of £19 per hour to do record searches so be prepared.
                                Nothing much is free these days and to get back further via parish records, the best ones for the job are those who transcribe them or store them so send off that appreciative e mail, in the hope that you get a helpful record keeper who is willing to search for you.

Edna

Comment

I forgot to say that I too have John Wilson in Kircudbright Scotland mid 1700s father to my 4X grandmother

Edna

Comment

The person on rootschat link here above is offering to look up Parish Records for the church you need, are you a member, free to join and you need to post two or three messages on there before you can send a private message to the person to do a look up for you.

Edna

Comment

Working...
                                    X