No announcement yet.

help please to understand census entry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help please to understand census entry?

Hello, as some of the regulars may remember I'm looking into my paternal side. As advised I have my grandparents marriage certificate which says my grand grandfather was William Rogers occupation Blacksmith. The marriage was in 1904. The people who attended were Rose Rogers, Lizzie Rogers, John Bullock and Charles Bool.

Since having this info I tried finding William Rogers, I've come up with several all in the Bristol area, one with a wife Rose another with a wife Fanny. Not sure which one is actually related to me yet!! But on the 1891 census I have found William and Fanny and with a son of the right age named Alfred, but there are 2 questions I wondered if someone could help me with;

1) would it be possible for William to change professions from General Haulier to Blacksmith in the 1880/90's?

2) on the census entry at the same address appears 2 people below the Rogers family, one George Rogers and another Charles Morgan (Morgan states he is a head and his occupation Pensioner and General Labourer). The Rogers relationship on the census I can't read and wondered if anyone can decipher it (link below) for me? Also I thought it strange he also has under occupation as ditto of Charles Morgan would that be correct especially as their ages are stated as 44 and 38 respectively??

3) last question for today, could anyone advise how I could find out what type of shop Fanny would have kept?

any help much appreciated, many thanks and kind regards Ali

It would probably be best to get your grandmother's birth certificate to see who her mother was which would help you find the correct family.
    I don' think someone would have trained as a blacksmith in later life but it may be he was a blacksmith all along and was only working as a general haulier at the time fo the census and then went back to 'smithing'.
    As regards finding the type of shop you would probably have to look in trade directories for the town concerned for an entry for the proprietor and hope it said what type of cgoods were sold.
    Margaret

Comment

Hi Ali,

In answer to your 2nd question, it looks to me like Lodger has been crossed out and replaced with Head ditto. The names also have different schedule numbers, so possibly 2 apartments at the same address. Charles Morgan's occupation says Pensioner & General Labourer, and George Rogers' says ditto. A pensioner could be someone who receives a pension - it doesn't necessarily have to be a retirement pension. Another old meaning of pensioner is an attendant. So perhaps it's not the same meaning of pensioner as we would think of today.
      Last edited by Cloggie; 05-08-10, 14:10.
      Sarah

Comment

On the 1891 census image I think they had relationship as head for Charles and lodger for George which has then been altered to head. It looks therefore that they are living separately in the same house. In fact they are all in the same house as the double slanted lines indicate the beginning and end of each house with the single lines indicating the beginning and end of each separate 'household' or family. The 1 besides Charles and George entries indicates the No of rooms they occupied.
        Margaret

Comment

Thanks Margaret and Sarah.

Comment

Working...
          X