Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Neate Family

Hi all,

I am currently conducting some research into the NEATE family of Clyffe Pypard, Wiltshire and have hit a snag; I was hoping someone may be able to assist.

I have ventured back to a PHILIP NEATE, who appears to have married an ElLIZABETH SPACKMAN at nearby Calne on 18th Feb 1799. At present, I know that they went on to have two sons, RICHARD NEATE (1801) and WILLIAM NEATE (1803), who were both baptised at Clyffe Pypard.

Philip appears with his wife on the 1841 census, giving us an estimated birth year of c.1780 (the same as his wife's) and revealing that he was indeed born in Wiltshire. Trouble is, he dies in 1849, so I cannot pick him up in 1851 which would give us a birthplace. I assume his wife came from Clyffe Pypard, as that appears to be a frequent name in the village.

I've tried to locate a baptism for Philip Neate on various sites but to no avail and I've now exhausted my resources. It's a long shot but can anyone help? I'd be very grateful indeed. Here's hoping!

moulie11
    Luke Mouland
    Genealogist, Historian & Writer
    Kith & Kin Research
    Blog: www.kithandkinresearch.posterous.com

Hi,
    The Familysearch Record Search site gives Philip's marriage to Elizabeth, Richard and William's births and the births of two daughters Mary in 1806 and Miriam in 1811. Unfortunately it doesn't give Philip's birth. It might be worth bearing it in mind as new info is being added all the time.
    Emeltee

Comment

Emeltee,

Thanks for your reply. I had found the marriage and the two son's baptisms on the Familysearch site but not the baptisms of the two daughters; so thank you very much for drawing my attention to these! Much appreciated.

moulie11
      Luke Mouland
      Kith & Kin Research

Comment

Just a small addition to previous information given:-

Philip Neate's wife, Elizabeth (nee Spackman), appears on the 1861 census living in the household of her younger daughter (Miriam) and appears to give her birthplace as Seend. Elizabeth was born c.1779. So, it seems she wasn't of Clyffe Pypard, as I previously assumed. Still no progress with finding Philip's birthplace, though!
        Luke Mouland
        Kith & Kin Research

Comment

Working...
        X