Colmar,France

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colmar,France

Hi, I am interested in visiting Appenwihr cemetary which I believe is to the South East of Colmar as this is where my wife's uncle was buried after being shot down in WW2. Any info on travel arrangements would be greatly appreciated,
    Kind Regards Brian

Can't help with travel arrangements, but the Commonwealth War Graves entry for him will include a description of the cemetery and how to locate it. I have a WWI rellie buried in an obscure Somme cemetery. The "how to get there" instructions are quite detailed.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Have you looked here?

If you need any detailed info, please send me a PM. We have visited the cemetery - assuming that that's the one you mean - and may be able to help. It's not difficult to find Appenwihr, but spotting how to get at the cemetery is trickier.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I've geen having a look on Google Streetview to remind myself.

The Church is behind the École on the Rue Principale - slightly north of the Impasse Principale. CWGC maintains the small set of graves in the churchyard there. To the left of the school, as you face it, there's a small French memorial, and to the left of that is little path leading through to the church. I can't remember whether you need to contact anyone to get in. I don't think we had to when we visited on behalf of a parishioner local to me, whose brother?cousin (can't recall which at the moment) is buried there.

There's a little detail here: http://www.cwgc.org/search/cemetery_...2031765&mode=1
        Nothing on that page suggests you need to contact anyone in advance.

Christine
        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 06-08-10, 12:33.
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
          I've geen having a look on Google Streetview to remind myself.

The Church is behind the École on the Rue Principale - slightly north of the Impasse Principale. CWGC maintains the small set of graves in the churchyard there. To the left of the school, as you face it, there's a small French memorial, and to the left of that is little path leading through to the church. I can't remember whether you need to contact anyone to get in. I don't think we had to when we visited on behalf of a parishioner local to me, whose brother?cousin (can't recall which at the moment) is buried there.

There's a little detail here: http://www.cwgc.org/search/cemetery_...2031765&mode=1
          Nothing on that page suggests you need to contact anyone in advance.

Christine
          Many thanks for your help.We are now looking forward to making our visit,Kind Regards,Brian

Comment

Working...
          X