Nicholls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nicholls

I was wondering whether someone on here would be kind enough to look up James NICHOLLS of Ashton-under-Lyne on the 1911 census, he was married to Mary (born c.1880) and they had a son William, born 1903. I am trying to find out when James was born and where, and I am having difficulty.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you
    Julie Cooper (nee Nicholls)

I have now found James and Mary (Slater) and his father William and mother Elizabeth (nee Fearnett) If anyone could help me find out Williams parents name I would be most grateful, Ive come to a dead stop. I know that they were married at Manchester Cathedral on 22nd October 1868.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Comment

Elizabeth fearnett and william nicholls - manchester

Please could anybody help me out - I have been researching my family tree on my fathers side and have got to his great grandad William Nicholls, who married Elizabeth Fearnett at Manchester Cathedral on 22nd October 1868 but now Im stuck, I cant find out Williams parents name, nor can I find a death date for him. Anyone have any ideas, Im new to this site, and fascinated by the stories on here - and have seen how wonderfully helpful people on here seem to be. Ill keep my fingers crossed someone can help out!
      Thank you
      Julie Cooper (nee Nicholls)

Comment

Hi Julie, welcome to Family Tree Forum.
        Hope you don't mind but I have merged your two threads as they seem to follow on.
        Have also moved the thread over to our Research Qs & As forum where hopefully some of our members will be able to help you.
        Elaine

Comment

Julie, as you work back through the generations you will find it necessary to purchase certificates from time to time to confirm your findings.
          You really need to get the marriage certificate of William Nicholls and Elizabeth Fearnett. This will give you the father's name of both bride and groom, together with their occupation, which will help you work back through the census information.

The certificate can be purchased from the General Register Officer, quoting the following reference (found on freeBMD)

William Nicholls / Elizabeth Fearnett
          Year 1868
          Quarter - Oct/Nov/Dec
          Registration district - Manchester
          Volume 8d
          Page 231

or from the local Records Office - via Lancashire BMD
          - if you do a search on the Lancs BMD site it will take you to a printable order form with the relevant local Records Office reference number, which is different to the GRO reference quoted above.
          Elaine

Comment

Elizabeth Fearnett b dec qtr 1850 in Chorlton...looks like her parents were Elizabeth Haughton and * on lancsbmd there is an explanation * see at end of page...it then states
            Thomas Fearnett
            Thomas Hamnett .....could you put me wise please Elaine ?....what does this mean ...they married in Manchester in 1845...
            allan
            Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
            oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
            adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
            merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
            coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Allan

Just means the transcriber couldn't read the surname and doesn't know if it is Fearnett or Hamnett.

OC

Comment

Thanks OC...on lan-opc there are NO records for Fearnett....plenty for Hamnett.....pity....sods law....allan
                Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                  Julie, as you work back through the generations you will find it necessary to purchase certificates from time to time to confirm your findings.
                  You really need to get the marriage certificate of William Nicholls and Elizabeth Fearnett. This will give you the father's name of both bride and groom, together with their occupation, which will help you work back through the census information.

The certificate can be purchased from the General Register Officer, quoting the following reference (found on freeBMD)

William Nicholls / Elizabeth Fearnett
                  Year 1868
                  Quarter - Oct/Nov/Dec
                  Registration district - Manchester
                  Volume 8d
                  Page 231

or from the local Records Office - via Lancashire BMD
                  - if you do a search on the Lancs BMD site it will take you to a printable order form with the relevant local Records Office reference number, which is different to the GRO reference quoted above.

Thank you Elaine, I shall do that.
                  Julie

Comment

Originally posted by garstonite View Post
                    Elizabeth Fearnett b dec qtr 1850 in Chorlton...looks like her parents were Elizabeth Haughton and * on lancsbmd there is an explanation * see at end of page...it then states
                    Thomas Fearnett
                    Thomas Hamnett .....could you put me wise please Elaine ?....what does this mean ...they married in Manchester in 1845...
                    allan
                    Thanks Allen, I appreciate this - surely it has to be Fearnett if thats Elizabeths maiden name?
                    Sorry if I sound a bit dim, Im just new to all this
                    Julie

Comment

Thanks Allan and OC. Im not quite sure what that means, that there are no records for Fearnett in the Lancs opc?

Comment

I have just looked on LancashireBMD for Elizabeth Fearnett, and it shows two entries, both showing as born 1850 in Hulme, but with different reference numbers - I cant see any more than that, it just goes to the order page from there - will they be the same person?

Comment

If they are different reference numbers then I imagine they are for different people.
                          You really need Elizabeth's marriage certificate first. That will give her father's name and occupation which will help you find her and her family in the census. Once you have a bit more information about her - like the name of both mother and father, then it is easier to locate the correct birth certificate if you need to buy it.
                          Take it step by step, confirming things as you go along - don't be in too much of a hurry to work back quickly as you can easily take a wrong turning somewhere. Very easily done!

If you are new to genealogy then you might find it useful to read some of our guides/tutorials in the FTF Reference Library. Go to the home page and click on the Getting Started link. There is a lot of useful advice there, as well as links to other sites which will be of help to you - but don't be afraid to ask if you need help!
                          Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine, I now have Elizabeths marriage certificate, her father was called James, and he was a mason.

Comment

Working...
                            X