Where are they ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are they ???

I have treid evrything I know (Researched my family for 3 years) to find out what happened to my fathers first wife and 3 children.
    I have them on his army record in 1915 after he was wounded at the Battle of Loos in France. It showed them living with his parents in Reading,Berkshire. However they do not show up in the 1911 Census. There are no records of deaths of ANY of them in BMD records. He was in the Army from 1903 to 1915,so I checked all army records I can find of families living abroad without success.

But the biggest mystery is what happened to them after 1915. Perhaps they emigrated to one of the Colonies,Australia,Canada South Africa etc,so if anybody has access to family history records in these and other colonies I would be grateful for lookups. !!

The names are WILLIAM JAMES BARNETT b 1884,LUCY BARNETT b 1888 (nee Lucy Scot Pope)ROSE ETHEL LOUISA BARNETT b 1908,HENRY CHARLES BARNETT b 1909,and IDA KATE BARNETT b 1913.

ANY help would be most welcome

Sid Barnett
    Last edited by Guest; 04-08-10, 15:25.

hi sid
    have you looked on the family search site at the record search pilot check it out theres a lot on there

Comment

Not sure if you had this birth already, as you didn't give a birth year for Ida:

Ida K Barnett
      Q1 1913
      Mother's maiden name: Pope
      District: Reading
      Volume: 2c
      Page: 664
      Sarah

Comment

There is a death for Ida K Barnett in 1916 4th quarter - age 3 - which would fit with a birth in 1913 1st quarter.
        Headington, volume 3a, page 1244
        Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine . Really cannot understand how I missed that. !! I will send for death certificate to see if she is the right one.

Thanks also to Cloggie. I do have that record thanks.

Also to Bertiemo. I have looked on Family Search,but do not understand "record search pilot". Could you tell me what it is please.

Thanks again to all

Sid

Comment

Hi Sid,
            This is the site bertiemo was referring to: http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#
            But I'm not sure if there will be anything of use for the time period you're looking at.
            Click on "Search or Browse our record collections" and then on Europe and scroll down to United Kingdom to see what's available.
            Sarah

Comment

Hi
              One faint possibility if they didn't all leave the country?
              Lucy Scot Pope, birth registered Dec qtr 1887 Reading
              married in 1906, now Lucy Scott with two t's
              Not many Lucy's around with the middle name Scott at that time (she was the only one born in 87 according to FreeBMD, one born in 88 I think died)
              But a death registered March qtr 1971 Surrey N. 5g 319
              Willmott, Lucy Scott
              d-o-b 2nd October 1887
              which would match your Lucy's birth reg. So far haven't found a Lucy Scott or a Lucy S marrying a Willmott, however you spell it, in England or Wales. People didn't always use all their names on a marriage, but even then there aren't many possibilities.
              Jon

Comment

hi sid
                i should have explained sorry, i thought record search pilot might help if your relies had emigrated as there are records for america canada australia and the like , to use it go into family search click on search records click on record search pilot click on browse record collections click all regions and your away it sounds complicated but its easy when doing it ( says he chuckling ) honestly it may be of use have fun
                bertiemo

Comment

Thanks so much JonnyB. That looks like her !! I have sent for Certificate to see what I can glean from it. However I am confident that you have found her. After all how mant Lucy Scott,s who were born on 2nd Oct 1887 can there be. ??
                  After the response from forum members I do not understand why I have not appealed to you all before.

Thanks to all

Sid

Comment

A Rose Ethel Willmott, aged 90, died in Northampton in 1997 - I wonder if Rose Ethel took her mother's new surname?

Comment

And a Henry C Willmott married in Reading in 1940.

Comment

Thanks for those Mary.
                        I will send for certificates to see what is on them.

Sid

Comment

Hi JonnyB,

Thought you might be interested in the following.

I received death certificate of Lucy Willmott today and she is indeed Lucy Scott Pope my father first wife . An added bonus is that it was a Ethel Rose Anderson ,(Daughter) who informed of the death. Checked for marriage of an Ethel Rose Louisa Barnett to an Anderson and found it !!!

So now I have the wife and one daughter. I am waiting for certificates of second daughter an son and will let you know result.

Thanks so much. You have almost certainly helped me to destroy a 3 year old "brick wall". !!

Sid

Comment

Brilliant

Comment

Hi Sid
                              Great news!
                              Glad to have been of help, and somewhat relieved of course that it was the right cert.
                              Jon

Comment

Hi Elaine and all forum members who have helped me.

I have today receieved the death certificate of IDA KATE BARNETT which Elaine put me on to.

And Yes it is my Half Sister !!!!!!
                                She sadly died of shock after severe burns in Oxford in 1916. There was an inquest and a coroners report was made. All I have to do now is find out if the report is still available or if there is a newspaper report. Does anybody have any tips that will help me to get these ???
                                Another bonus of this certificate (I always seem to get additional info) is that it shows my father in the Royal Engineers of the British Army at the time . This is of particular interest because I traced his army record to the time he was wounded in France in 1915 when with the Royal Berkshire Regiment 1st Battallion,and was then discharged. It seems he must have re-joined the RE regiment sometime. More searching required I think !

Thanks again everybody,and in this case to Elaine. You are all STARS !!!

Sid

Comment

Working...
                                X