Where in Norfolk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where in Norfolk?

Can anyone read the birth place for John Mason (first on census page)

Class: RG9; Piece: 200; Folio: 58; Page: 8; GSU roll: 542590.

Many thanks
    Last edited by Terrianne; 03-08-10, 21:29.

sorry it looks like wackin?
    Last edited by Guest; 03-08-10, 21:53.

Comment

I think it might be Wacton
      Jackie

Comment

Thanks for your replies Val and Jackie.

Comment

might be better to ask Heather she lives in Norfolk?? good luck

Comment

Found them in 1851: HO107 Piece 1521 Folio 330 Page 37. But it just gives Norfolk for his birthplace. And he's a shoemaker. So by 1861 he's gone down in the world a bit. Wife sarah is born in Bury St. Edmunds i both censuses so it's the same family.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I have just had a quick look in Family Search in the ones on Browse Collections for Europe.

I got the link off here but don't know how to put it up.

There is a Wacton on there with parish records up to 1901- 1904 depending on which record.

These are not indexed so you need to trawl through them.

Hope some one can explain better than me!!
              Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Thanks Val will get in touch with Heather, hopefully she will recognised the place

Uncle John - yes gone down in the world! I did wonder if part of his occupation had carried over into the where born column.

Lin - I know what you mean, will see what I can find for Wacton.

Thank you all for your replies.

Comment

Hi Terrianne

Have you found his bap. Its on page 12 of the parish records for Wacton.

His parents are Samuel Mason and Mary Elwin. John was born 17th June and privately bap 29th June 1800.

I have Masons in Norfolk so took an interest but don't know Wacton so I don't think they are related.
                  Lin

Comment

Hi Lin

Thank for your interest. Yes, I have been on the pilot site and found the birth of John Mason. I am confused now as the one I found was born 1805 to Robert and Margaret Blois. How do I prove which is correct? Any ideas?

Comment

This is where it gets hard, isn't it.

Have a look at what brothers and sisters both had and see if any unusual names crop up that John has called his children.

I took his date of birth from 1851 census and looked no further than that.

Have you found his marriage on the parish records to see if it said what his fathers name was. Not always mentioned but some have loads of details.

Also have a look to see if you can find another marriage for John Mason to see if that can help.

It gets a bit hit and miss now.
                      Lin

Comment

Lin many thanks for your suggestions. I have been searching all afternoon but with no success, have found siblings for John born 1805, no unusual names, Thomas, Charlotte, Harriot & Lydia, but so far no siblings for the John you found - will keep looking! Not had any luck either with marriages. Have not given up yet!

Comment

Could the place name be Docking? Doesn't look like it I know, but Family search have a family which looks as if it might be the same one.

I searched for George Mason, 1850 son of John and this one was born in St Luke.

Parents John Mason c1801 Docking, Norolk & Sarah

John Sparman Mason c1841 Docking
                          Frances Mason c1846 Clerkenwell
                          George Mason c1850 St Luke.

Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thanks for your reply Wendy. It sounds very much like the same one - will have a look.

Comment

Working...
                            X