Hi, back with a different problem....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, back with a different problem....

Well I thought I'd just about finished with master mariner Robert Wilson (b 1824 Seaton Sluice Northumberland d at sea 1878) With lots of help I found out that the ship Robert was on(Cordelia) burned in the Bay of Biscay and have a newspaper report to show that (from the Times) but.... I have just got a copy of a report from The Blackburn Standard Dec 7th 1878 which clearly states that: " It seems to be accepted as a fact that the Barque Cordelia of Shields has been burnt in the Bay of Biscay. The crew are supposed to have been taken off by a passing vessel."
    So how can I find out if that is true?
    I also found a Robert Wilson( right age) in the 1881 census on a vessel in Cambridgeshire (RG11/1696) declaring himself a widower. His birthplace is described as Fallen Shore... I think it may have been Felling Shore on the river Tyne...close enough to his original roots to be almost true. Could he have been rescued and begun a new life....too embarrassed to return after his family had buried him and given him a memorial stone??
    I have tried looking at the Porsmouth Cities site as they have info about some enquiries but no luck there. Where else can I go? Any help much appreciated.
    Ros

If you can get access to the Gale 19th. century newspapers collection you may find a different version in another paper. Though often these stories were copied from one paper to another.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks Uncle John,
      I believe that this is one of three articles about the ship...one says missing, one says seen by another ship (the Southern Cross )burning with davits down and a vessel leaving the ship and this report which seems to have been the latest. I am not sure where to go from here but will try to find out more.
      Ros

Comment

The best plan is probably to investigate this second Robert Wilson - trying to find any evidence of his birth/baptism at Felling Shore, or any entries parallel to those of your Robert in 1841-1871 censuses. If a thoroug search doesn't find him then this will lend strength to the theory that he is your Robert.
        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Hi Judith,
          Thanks for that ....have tried to find any records for Felling Shore that mention him but so far have had no luck. There are so many seafaring Robert Wilsons its really such a common name! Might try to find other members of the Cordelias crew.
          Thanks anyway, this family research is soooo addictive!
          Ros

Comment

Working...
          X