HP Printer 2575

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HP Printer 2575

Any ideas why my printer tells me that I have a problem with the cartridges. Last week it told me that I had a problem with the colour cartridge and to remove it and clean it and that message was on all week. This week it has changed to the black cartridge and it will not even let me do a test run.

HP have done nothing but download new drivers etc almost all last week and again today. They are automatic downloads. Tuesday update, have just had another massive download from HP drivers the lot this has never happened before. Not that it is helping my printer to work.

I am undecided whether to buy more ink or a new printer after all the ink will cost me nearly £45.00.

I also put Avast (free) on two weeks ago and wonder if that has anything to do with it. Since putting Avast on my machine freezes often which has never happened on this one before.
    Last edited by Margaret N; 03-08-10, 21:46. Reason: update
    Margaret N
    DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

I have read on the internet tonight that two other people have printers that stopped working when they installed the latest version 5 of AVAST (free) and I have Vista. Problem is I can find no possible way to remove this safely from my PC. I think one can download a tool as long as you have a paid version.
    I need to remove it urgently. Please advise in very simple words. Would a system restore back to mid July work?
    Help, Help,please I have spent over two long days trying to sort this.
    Margaret N

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Hi Margaret,

Have you tried the usual way of removing a program by using the Control Panel?
      Click Start > Control Panel. Then, if you are using "Control Panel Home" view, click "Uninstall a program" (under Programs).
      (Alternatively, if your Control Panel is set to "Classic View", click "Programs and Features".)
      This will bring up a list of installed programs. Click on "avast! Free Antivirus" and then on Uninstall/Change > Uninstall > Next.
      Once the uninstall process has been completed, you may be asked to restart your computer for the changes to take effect.

As for the issues you're having with your printer, have you checked out HP's technical support info? There are how-to guides, a problem-solving section, a consumer support forum, etc.
      Here's the link: HP Photosmart 2575 All-in-One Printer
      Sarah

Comment

Hello Sarah,

I downloaded a tool from Avast and once I got it going it did everything automatically even the reboot. One cartridge is now showing as OK but the black is still a problem. I was told by several Computer shops yesterday that Antivirus programmes are so powerfull that they do sometimes block out Print Drivers etc.
        After spending days on this lark I am going to consider buying a new printer. It was suggested to me to uninstall the printer and run the setup again. All very well but I cannot put my hands on the CD and I do not understand the download from HP.

One thing I am certain of it was something to do with Avast and that does not mean that people should not use it. It just did not like something on my PC setup. I thought it was an excellent programme.

Thank you for your help as usual.

Best wishes
        Margaret N

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret N View Post
          It was suggested to me to uninstall the printer and run the setup again. All very well but I cannot put my hands on the CD and I do not understand the download from HP.
          I agree that uninstalling and reinstalling your printer might resolve your printer issues.
          Don't worry about finding the CD (although you can order the software on CD if you wish - see the Software & Driver Downloads link below).
          You can download and install the drivers directly from the HP website.
          Uninstall the printer first (by using the Control Panel as I described for Avast in my previous post).

Drivers for your printer can be found here: Software & Driver Downloads
          The main download you need is the one called "Driver".
          This should take you straight to it: HP Officejet and Photosmart Full Feature Software and Drivers
          Just click on the "Download" button and then run the software once downloaded.
          Click on View directions if you need more help.

Make sure to install the driver software before connecting the printer to the computer.

The Software & Driver Downloads page also includes some updates that you may need to install, and a couple of Utility programs. There is also a Software & Driver troubleshooting help section.
          Last edited by Cloggie; 08-08-10, 12:13.
          Sarah

Comment

Hello Sarah,

Thank you for all your help but I really am giving up on this printer which is a pity. I first tried the link you gave me having diabled the Firewire and Antivirus etc. After fifteen minutes of download it suddenly all disappeared off my screen never to be seen again.

I then found the original CD which was intended for XP and did not work on XP so I used an old printer (this was in days of old). When I purchased the Vista PC the CD intended for XP worked just like that back in 2007.

I have tried running this CD and it tells me that it is not compatable for my PC and when I try to update it I get a message telling me that 'no updates' available for your system.

Interesting the HP booklet says that Antivirus, AntiSpyware and Firewall can block installation and general operation. Interesting that I was certain that the printer failed at the time I put Avast on.

I still have a shell of HP files on that are not keen to move and give me frightening messages i.e. if you remove this it may affect your PC.

I think it will be retail theraphy tomorrow. Many thanks.
            Margaret N

Comment

Hi Margaret,

Sorry to hear you are having problems with downloading.
              If the original CD was for XP, it most likely will not work on Vista, which is why you need to download and install the latest drivers from the HP site.

Depending on which browser you're using, the downloaded file may not appear on screen automatically. With Google Chrome, for example, it shows up in a little box at the bottom left of my screen, which I can then double-click on to run the downloaded file.

Have you looked to see whether the download has been saved to your PC? Once you locate the downloaded file, you should be able to open it and run the program.
              Try clicking the Start button and then typing downloads in the search box at the bottom of the Start menu. This should bring up a folder (possibly several folders) called Downloads, which should contain your downloaded files. On my computer it brings up folders with yellow icons as well as a greenish-blue ones, and the downloaded programs, etc., are in the greenish-blue one.
              Last edited by Cloggie; 10-08-10, 09:29.
              Sarah

Comment

Sarah,
                I have been succesful at the download. First I deleted all the bits that gave me all warnings 'not to' but I wanted a fresh start. I also disabled the firewall and have put it on again. So I am feeling please with myself having got this far with of course your help.

I can sort problems but once one gets to panic stage ~ one looses their way.

While my printer still has the same message and is not working I can see the Ink levels that I could not do before. Also a message remove and check print cartridges. I think that I have over cleaned and polished them.
                The Big Question is now do I spend out on new ink cartridges on a printer of this age or move on. I think that I will move on and fancy a Canon at the moment and of course wifi will be useful in the near future.

Many thanks for all your support.
                Last edited by Margaret N; 10-08-10, 22:29.
                Margaret N

Comment

Hi Margaret,

I wonder if it could be a defective ink cartridge? But then the only way to find that out would be to spend money on a new one, which would be a waste if that turns out not to be the problem.

I have a Canon multifunctional printer/scanner that I'm very happy with. Mine is the PIXMA MP800 which is no longer made, but I would certainly recommend Canon. Mine can also scan slides/negatives and has 5 separate ink cartridges - 3 colour and 2 black (one for photos and one for documents) - which have a chip that enables the printer to read the ink levels. I always buy the original Canon cartridges. It is possible to use compatible cartridges but, as far as I know, you then have to remove the chip from an original cartridge and stick it onto the compatible one.

See Canon Multifunctionals - Inkjet to compare the specifications of the current product range.
                  Sarah

Comment

Working...
                  X