USA Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA Records

Hi Im trying to find information about my Great Grandfather. I know his name, approx year of birth and where he was born. He was a soldier posted in the UK during the second world war who did a bunk after getting my great grandmother pregnant. Im unsure how the American records work so if anyone could explain this I would appreciate it. Also where do I look at their records? Im guessing this is going to involve more subscriptions?

Have you had a look in the Reference section here? You may find that there's a lot of suggestions for USA research - and try the Wiki, in particular.

If you aren't used to USA records, the first thing of which you need to be aware is just how significant is the fact that it is a set of separate States - each wit hits own laws and regulations: not everything is organised at federal level. In particular, BMD "Vital" records have to be obtained from the individual states - if you can work out which one.

Ancestry.com has some US soldiers' records, I believe. If you don't have a .com sub yourself, you may be able to get access by using your local library.

If you can get a copy of the SSN5 (application for a social security number) that can be really useful!

But do have a look in the Wiki.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
    X