Apprenticeship records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apprenticeship records

My 3x great grandfather, William Cousins, was a hatter's apprentice in Bermondsey at the time of the 1841 census.

How would I go about tracking down his apprenticeship documentation if it still exists please?

Many thanks

Have you looked at the National Archives catalogue? They have a section on apprentice records but I don't think they've been indexed. so I'm guessing you would ask to look at a box or file of them?

If you click on Records>looking for a person, it takes you to a page with lists of all the types of record.

Anne

Comment

London Apprenticeship Records, where they exist, used to be held at the Guildhall Library but with reorganisation of that place, they should now be at the LMA (London Metropolitan Archives). Whether or not they will ever come online under Ancestry's arrangement with LMA is another matter but maybe worth contacting LMA tosee if they have anything for hatters. Bermondsey is Middlesex?

Janet

Comment

There is a British Hatters listing on Rootsweb - not sure if you will find anything there which might point you in the right direction.
        Elaine

Comment

I had a look on Origins at the London Apprenticeship Abstracts 1442-1850 but they don't have the Hatters in that one unfortunately and the latest references to the name + variants is 1788 in any other Livery Company.
          Caroline
          Caroline's Family History Pages
          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thanks for your responses... I'll take a look at those

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
              I had a look on Origins at the London Apprenticeship Abstracts 1442-1850 but they don't have the Hatters in that one unfortunately and the latest references to the name + variants is 1788 in any other Livery Company.
              Thanks Caroline

Comment

I've been Googling and see that there was a hat manufacturer in Bermondsey called Christys and it was the largest in the world employing 500 people... I wonder if he worked there...

Comment

Working...
                X