1780s and 90s Birth cert?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1780s and 90s Birth cert?

A friend thinks he's found a link to his gtgtgrandfather - but wants to know if he can get a copy Birth Cert - where's the best place for that as it's so long ago? Thanks
    Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

Civil registration began in 1837, so this will be too early to get a birth certificate. They will need to find the baptism in the parish registers instead.

Comment

Hi again Dorothy!

Birth certificates as we know them didn't come into force until mid 1837, and even then weren't compulsory until 1875.

What he will need to do is get a copy of his baptism from the Parish Registers which, depending on the area and the vicar, may or may not have as much information as a birth certificate.

He should start by checking on the IGI to see if anything is on there but then it is a case of looking through lots of records.

Get him to come and put the details on here and we can all see what we can find. There are different sites that might have info such as free reg etc.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Thanks Tom - he is actually a member on here - asked me cos we're friends - so I'll tell him what you've said.
        Dorothy G

Comment

If he's a beginner, then I would direct him here http://www.familytreeforum.com/conte...etting-Started

Comment

Do he or you mean 1880's and 90's? Because I'm not sure anyone alive today would get back to 1780 in just 4 generations?

Comment

Originally posted by Kate P View Post
              Do he or you mean 1880's and 90's? Because I'm not sure anyone alive today would get back to 1780 in just 4 generations?
              Perfectly possible. I'm 60 and my gt gt grandparents were all born between 1801 and 1828 so I'm sure there must be plenty of people alive with gt gt grandparents born in the 1780s and 90s.
              Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Isn't it 5 generations?
                Jay

Comment

Judith - It's doable I agree, but I still think it's a stretch personally. I'm only 35 and my gg-grandparents range from 1813 to 1868. The eldest one married a women 40yrs his junior to farther my g-grandmother though ::

Jay - I haven't included the present generation (oneself), I went - parents, grandparents, g-grandparents, and gg-grandparents.

Kate x

Comment

Originally posted by Kate P View Post
                    Judith - It's doable I agree, but I still think it's a stretch personally. I'm only 35 and my gg-grandparents range from 1813 to 1868. The eldest one married a women 40yrs his junior to farther my g-grandmother though ::

Jay - I haven't included the present generation (oneself), I went - parents, grandparents, g-grandparents, and gg-grandparents.

Kate x
                    You're now making me feel old but I repeat there are plenty of people older than me who are researching their trees who will find their gt gt grandparents in the 1780s- come to think of it I am in contact with my grandfather's cousin (only 13 years older than me as he was the youngest child of my gt gt uncle who in turn was youngest of 9) some of whose gt gt grandparents were born in the 1760s.
                    Last edited by JudithM; 02-08-10, 21:58.
                    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I'm 28 & my great great grandparents were born 1834 - 1871. My parents, both in their mid 50's have great great parents born late 1790's onwards so like Judith says there's plenty of folk about researching their trees with great great grandparents born in that time frame.
                      Jay

Comment

Judith making you feel old ;;;;well Im 59 and all my grandads side My 4 gens back are all 1790's sob
                        borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

As the others have said you need the parish records, i have a baptism for my great great grandfather, 22 July 1788, obtained from the records office.
                          Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
                          Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
                          Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

Comment

haha, im 19, and my 2nds are born from 1850-1900. my gran's 2nds were born 1770! so it is possible!

Comment

:D Well, this friend of mine is mid-late 70s - so I don't think he's made a mistake.

My paternal grandad dob 1874, gtgrandad 1837, and gtgtg'dad 1797, and all had numerous children - 11/12/13 at a time over a period of 15-20 years.... no wonder the poor women died younger!
                              Dorothy G

Comment

Working...
                              X