Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Doomsday book please

Hello,

A relative has asked me to get a copy of the page from the Doomsday book that related to Caldecote, Hertfordshire.

I have seen references on the internet saying that it is mentioned in the Doomsday book so in theory it should be there!

I have never been very good at finding any information on TNA website, but I have found reference to it here:

On the right hand side of this page is a link to a website where you can pay to have a copy of the extract, but when I type in Caldeocte (or Caldecota as it appears on there) nothing comes up.

Any thoughts, ideas or pointers gratefully received!

Many thanks,

Tom

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Hang fire on that, think I may have found it.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Tom - I've got a replica Doomsday book, I could have a look in there. Where is Caldecott?
      Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

Comment

Thanks Dorothy.

It is Caldecote, or Caldecota (according to that site) and it is in Hertfordshire. There are several different Caldecote's in the country, but the one I want is in Hertfordshire. There is always mention of a Ralph de Limesy, so if you find him you will know we have the right one!

Thanks again,

Tom

Comment

Caldecote (Cadecota):
          (Property of) Ralph de Limesy. Small village. Once a Roman settlement.

Unlike many other entries there's no indication of Tithes due (paid to the Crown). These could take the form of many different things - such as nearby Ashwell who paid an annual basic 49s4d because it was a thriving settlement/village with 4 slaves, livestock pasture,5 ploughs, 2 mills, etcc. all of which were taxed in addition. Other places (near rivers) paid in eels other is livestock and so on.

It says in General Notes that the Black Death decimated the area...

Sorry, not very enlightening.
          Dorothy G

Comment

Land of Ralph Limsey

Ralph holds Caldicote himself for 1 hide and 1 virgate. Land for 5 ploughs.
            In lordship 3 virgates and the fourth part of 1 virgate; 9 villagers with a priest have 2 1/2 ploughs; 1 1/2 ploughs possible.
            4 cottagers.
            Meadow for 2 oxen.
            The value of this land is 40s; before 1066 was 100s.
            Ledmer, Archbishop Stigand's man, held this manor.

Cheers
            Guy
            Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Tom - in case you're interested, BBC TV as part of their series on the Normans are doing a programme on Tuesday next about the Doomsday Book.
              Dorothy G

Comment

Thanks Dorothy and Guy. I will let my rellie know and see what he wants me to do.

Comment

Working...
                X