Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Annoying, or just plain bizarre, mistranscriptions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annoying, or just plain bizarre, mistranscriptions!

Now I bet we've all come across some crackers in our time, but how about these from my tree for starters?

Sargeant:- any combination of a, e, r, g, and j you can imagine, plus Sarfant, Larfant etc, Seuphut(?!), Sapant.
    Jemima:- any combination of vowels you like apparently, just chuck 'em in! Jamime, Jimame, Jammime etc.
    Degg:- it's only four letter, can't be that bad, huh? Oh how wrong I was - Dagg, Digg, Higg, Hegg, Ogg, Dogg etc
    Tunnicliff:- ha! One n or two?, one f or two?, i or e?, e on the end or not?

Come on, any favourites of your own out there?!

Kate x

I spent ages trying to find my George Tyler in 1861 finally found it under Angles ??????????? some mistranscription .

Comment

See, now I can totally understand that confusion, especially with a flowery script, all the letters lend themselves to the change recorded, I think, but the addition of the n is odder, though I suspect they've tried to shoehorn it in to fit what they think they're seeing.

Comment

Kate,

Your post brightened up my day that extra bit - it made me laugh. I guess it's the things like this that add to the challenge and make what we do even more interesting and dynamic...and possibly more amusing as well!
        Last edited by moulie11; 02-08-10, 12:29.
        Luke Mouland
        Genealogist, Historian & Writer
        Kith & Kin Research
        Blog: www.kithandkinresearch.posterous.com

Comment

I must admit the sense of achievement when you finally find someone after searching high and low, using all the tricks you know etc, is sometimes tempered by a what the heck? reaction when I look at the (mis)transcription... and sometimes I'm not that polite either!

Comment

My killer one was Tufft - fancy script on the enumerators book had this one transcribed as Fufft. My Moretons are another - a simple name but came out as Murton, Mooreton, Moorson, Marston and many others, and don't even get me started on my Garmstons! Still, it keeps the old research skills sharp!:D
            Helen
            Support the S.O.P.H.I.E. campaign, Stamp Out Predudice Hatred + Intolerance Everywhere.

Visit the website at http://www.sophielancasterfoundation.com/index1.html

http://www.illamasqua.com/about/sophie/

Comment

Kate
              Nothing to do with the names problem. BUT I notice you quote a DEGG and a TUNNICLIFFE. I have both in my tree, I wonder if we are somehow linked.
              Do you have a MERCY MOSS in your tree as well

Comment

The best mistranscription I've found on Ancestry was a place name in the 1901 census, which read "Minto Slater". Turned out to be the United States.

Comment

Originally posted by Kate P View Post
                  Now I bet we've all come across some crackers in our time, but how about these from my tree for starters?

Sargeant:- any combination of a, e, r, g, and j you can imagine, plus Sarfant, Larfant etc, Seuphut(?!), Sapant.
                  Jemima:- any combination of vowels you like apparently, just chuck 'em in! Jamime, Jimame, Jammime etc.

Kate x
                  Hiya Kate , do you have a Shepherd Sargeant /Sargent in your tree , if so so do I ;;;

Babs
                  borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

haha, ive had morton as: martin, marton, and marshall! clementson: clemingson, clemminson, cleminson, etc. dove frequently as dore, powton as ponston and poulton, they can be a nightmare!

Comment

Not in my tree, but I've come across a number of people born in Mexico according to the transcript - it should read Middlesex.

Comment

I have an Adversity Brown in my tree.....surely that must be a mistransciption.......it is a very unsual christian name for the mid 1700's.

I often wonder if it should be Doversity.

Comment

The surname Lewcock gives lots of mistranscriptions, but when I found the family transcribed as Ineoh I was very pleased with myself!!

Right word shape but that was about all.
                          Caroline
                          Caroline's Family History Pages
                          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Holcan - if your family is from Staffordshire or surrounding areas, we are almost certainly linked somehow - Degg is a very limited name in numbers and distribution. PM me.

Borobabs - I don't have a Shepherd Sargeant no, Hephzibah is as exotic as it gets!

And as for Minto Slater, that's just brilliant - that wins for now!

Kate x

Comment

My HEAL family come out as Hill, Hale, Heel and Hall and the NORTHEY family as Worthy. I've a Richard who's shown as Michael on the 1881 census yet it's clear to see the name is Richard.
                              Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
                                Not in my tree, but I've come across a number of people born in Mexico according to the transcript - it should read Middlesex.
                                I have a whole bunch born in Somalia, instead of Martock Somerset. I guess SOM can be either !

Them's the Worners who had been transcribed variously as Womer, Warner, Warrener, Wornar, etc. Even Martock Somerset has about 15 variations in the 1881 census - Matlock, Marloc and Mattock.
                                Last edited by dicole; 03-08-10, 11:11.
                                Diane
                                Sydney Australia
                                Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Originally posted by flashieboy View Post
                                  I have an Adversity Brown in my tree.....surely that must be a mistransciption.......it is a very unsual christian name for the mid 1700's.

I often wonder if it should be Doversity.
                                  There was a time when it was really fashionable - possibly only amongst a particular group of very-protestant people - to use words like "Adversity" as given names. A very few still survive - like "Patience", "Prudence", "Faith", "Grace" and perhaps "Hope" and "Joy" were from then, too. "Charity" and "Mercy" are uncommon now, but more recognisable. Some seem positively bizarre, now: how about "Silence". "Temperance" was used in C17th, but I'm only aware of it now as the Christian name of the principal character in the Katy Reichs forensic whodunnit books.

I think there was an Ancestry of FMP newsletter which referred to a child called "Trouble"!

Christine
                                  Last edited by Christine in Herts; 03-08-10, 14:21.
                                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

This page shows names of some of the Pilgrim Fathers party:

including "Remember" (f), "Love" (m), "Humility" (f), "Desire", "Resolved" (m), ...

Christine

SORRY: this has wandered a bit off topic, but these are the kinds of names which are likely to be mistranscribed... and I was intrigued!
                                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Yes, I have quite a few similar names in my tree, including Virtue and Obedience.

Comment

These are great, I'm particularly loving Mexico for Middlesex! And 'Resolved' has a nice strong ring to it for a man too. If we're on the side subject of slitghty left-field first names I have a few 18th century Weslyans in my tree with names like Judith, Deborah and Jabez. Not all that unusual I suppose, but very defining in time.

Comment

Working...
                                        X