St George in the East baptism records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St George in the East baptism records

I'm hoping someone can tell me that I'm not going mad. The IGI lists a baptism record for Thomas Wade, son of Thomas and Maria, baptised 22 Jun 1806.

Ancestry have scanned images of this parish register, so I went to look for this entry. The page showing baptisms on 22nd June 1806 is present, undamaged and legible, but does not list Thomas Wade. Nor is his baptism on the pages on either side of the 22nd June entries.

If anyone wants to double check for me, the page showing June 22nd is in Ancestry's London, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812, St George in the East, 1795-1808 page 142.

The IGI lists other baptisms on the same page of the register, so it's not as if whoever did the transcribing missed the page out. But they've added in a baptism that isn't there.

I know that the IGI is not completely reliable - but when did its contributors start making things up? Or have I forgotten how to read?
    Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

How odd - you're not going bonkers, I can't see it either. However FMP seem to have it as part of the Docklands Ancestors dataset but as my sub ran out yesterday I can't check what date they have for it ...maybe someone else can
    Sue

Comment

Thank you Sue - it's a relief to know that it's not staring me in the face!
      Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

I've found it, but I'm not sure if it's the baptism you're looking for. If you look again at the St. George in the East baptisms on Ancestry, you'll find the following entry on page 142:

22nd June 1806, Talbot, Thomas, son of Thomas Wade Talbot, cordwainer, by Maria, Anthony Street, born 21st May 180? (the birth year's illegible).

The LDS transcriber evidently assumed that Wade was the baby's surname, which it doesn't appear to be from the register.

Last edited by Mary from Italy; 31-07-10, 20:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post

22nd June 1806, Talbot, Thomas, son of Thomas Wade Talbot, cordwainer, by Maria, Anthony Street, born 21st May 180? (the birth year's illegible).

The LDS transcriber evidently assumed that Wade was the baby's surname, which it doesn't appear to be from the register.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/Browse/....1795-1808.142
          Thank you for spotting this! But it makes things weirder because my 3x gt g'pa was Thomas Wade and he used the surname Wade throughout his life and so did his children. According to the censuses he was born in around 1810-1811 in St George in the East - but there's no record for that name in the parish during those years. This is the closest. (There is another Thomas Wade born not so far away, but he dies within the next year or so.)

Maybe the father's middle name was Talbot and when the Vicar wrote the entry in the register sometime later he got muddled up??? Guess I'll never know...

Thanks again.

Comment

We'll probably never know for sure but perhaps father's "official" name was Thomas Wade Talbot (maybe he was illegitimate son of Mr Wade and Miss Talbot) but was usually known as Wade and so later he and/or his son dropped the Talbot bit altogether.
            Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

The plot thickens... I've been trying to track Thomas Wade Talbot to see if he is a completely different person from my ancestor Thomas Wade. To confuse things there are two different Thomas Wade Talbots! There's the one born in 1806 and there's another one born in 1828. He's obviously not my relative, but I'd thought the name would be unique...

There are lots of marriage records for men called Thomas Talbot, but none for a Thomas Wade Talbot - so do you think I could reasonably work on the assumption that my Thomas Wade was baptised Thomas Wade Talbot, but dropped the Talbot name?

Comment

Bit risky - it's one possibility, but not the only one. Even if he was born in that area, he may have been baptised in another parish. There was a Thomas Wade baptised in Stratford in 1806, for example.

Comment

I've just found a marriage for Thomas Wade Talbot junior which proves that he can't be my Thomas Wade. Thank you for your help everyone! Back to the drawing board...

Comment

Working...
                  X