Solomon Robert Smith Obituary Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solomon Robert Smith Obituary Help

Would anyone recommend a site for London newspapers. My great grandfather Solomon Robert Smith died on 7th April 1946 in Ilford Essex and I am interested in finding out of there were any obituaries for him in the local papers. I have found through help from some members of the forum where he was buried and now have a photo of his gravestone. He was buried on 13/4/1946 in Manor Park Cemetery Illford in Essex and was living at 88A Ley Street in Ilford when he died.

As I live in Scotland I managed to find many of my Scottish ancestors in the local papers at the local library but wondered if I could do any searching for my English relatives in the newspapers. I have tried Ilford library but no luck so far

Solomon fought with the Royal Artillery in WW1 then joined the Post Office after the War

Can anyone offer any advice

Thanks

Steven

You posted the same query on another thread. I answered it there:

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine for your help

Can I ask would it be common practice for the family to place something in a newspaper advising of his death in London at that time. Tried the Ilford Library but no joy

Steven

Comment

No idea if it would be common, I think not. I can only assume this chap worked in London or had some other connection there.I would try the Essex Central Library service or Essex Records Office. In my own family I've found both obituaries and reports of the funeral for some people - only a paragraph or two, but enough to give me more info to research.If he worked for the Post Office its possible they produced an obituary in a staff newspaper.Nell
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks Nell good idea re the Post Office - I have emailed them to see if they have anything

Steven

Comment

If you need an alternative, have you tried here: http://www.postalheritage.org.uk/

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine will check it out. Will have a 2nd try at Ilford Library tomorrow and then if no joy knock it on the head

Regards

Steven

Comment

Any chance he would have been a member of a church (or equivalent) community which might have had a magazine?... which might have included obits?

I have in mind things like parish magazines, staff magazines, club magazines - any of which could be in a local records office, or with a club/society archivist.

Regimental diaries tended not to record detail about non-officers (a.k.a. "Other Ranks" or "ORs"), but might have done were tere anything spectacular to record. Might still be worth the asking?

Christine

Comment

Thanks Christine might try to find out what local newspapers were around at that time so see if the family put out a note about his death

Steven

Comment

Your best bet would be to get in touch with the local Records Office and see what local newspapers they had for the period.

If he was important in the area, had done something important in his life, lived to a great age, or was slightly famous locally for any reason at all he is likely to have at least an announcement in the local paper. I have found lots of family members deaths announced and even have long obit's for some of them.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Thanks Tom Tom don't think he was famous but he did serve as a gunner in the Royal Artillery and was wounded in WW1 but looks like a fairly quiet life which isn't a bad thing

Think I will try Ilford libraty again

Steven

Comment

Working...
                      X