X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike R

Hi
    I'm new to this forum today.
    I am researching my wife's side of the family but have come up against a brick wall with George Burgess born 1827 Stoke Poges.
    His place of birth place and age was taken from the 1861 census where his name is mispelt BARGAS. I also have a copy of his marriage certificate to Mary Ann Osborn 1859 where he says his father's name is George.
    This is all I have and despite hours of searching Ancestry and Family Search IGI index I have got no further.
    I did find a George Burgess on the 1841 census in Stoke Poges, Buckinghamshire, but he was born in 1791, possibly the father.
    Otherwise zilch.
    It seems very rude to ask for help on my first day but any information would be muc appreciated.

Not rude at all Mike, that's what we're here for... welcome to Family Tree Forum

I'm sure one of our members will be able to help you...

Comment

Hi Mike, no luck with George so far. Where and when was Mary Ann born? Maybe a search for her will turn up trumps.

Welcome to the forum
      Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

what was his occupation ??

Comment

I think you will need to find the baptism record in the Stoke Poges parish registers, which will show both parents names. These should be held at the Buckinghamshire county archive in Aylesbury.

A FTF member kindly does look ups there http://www.familytreeforum.com/showt...ookups-Ongoing so perhaps you could add a request to the thread

Comment

There was a trial were Henry Akerman was said to have on 7 May 1842 in Stoke Poges stolen hens. a cock and some chickens from George Burgess... this may be the George Burgess who is a farmer in Stoke Poges in 1841

Comment

Originally posted by JulesSmith View Post
              Hi Mike, no luck with George so far. Where and when was Mary Ann born? Maybe a search for her will turn up trumps.

Welcome to the forum

Mary was born Mary Osborn in 1836 in Hundon Suffolk. She was in Suffolk on the 1841 and 1851 census and next appears on her marriage certicate to George Burgess in 1859 in Shoreditch.
              On the 1861 census she is with George Bargas ( obviously wrongly transcribed ) still in Shoreditch with her first born George, 1859. She had a second child, Edward, in 1863 the year that George senior died.
              Hundon and Stoke Poges are a long way apart but I did look round Suffolk for a suitable G. Burgess just in case. No-one that fitted the bill though.
              Thanks for your interest.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                what was his occupation ??
                On his marriage cert. and the 1861 census he was simply a laborer, his father George was also a laborer according to the marriage cert.

Comment

Originally posted by colin taylor View Post
                  There was a trial were Henry Akerman was said to have on 7 May 1842 in Stoke Poges stolen hens. a cock and some chickens from George Burgess... this may be the George Burgess who is a farmer in Stoke Poges in 1841
                  That's interesting and would be a great footnote to the family tree if I could tie the 2 George Burgess's together.

Comment

Originally posted by Velma Dinkley View Post
                    I think you will need to find the baptism record in the Stoke Poges parish registers, which will show both parents names. These should be held at the Buckinghamshire county archive in Aylesbury.

A FTF member kindly does look ups there http://www.familytreeforum.com/showt...ookups-Ongoing so perhaps you could add a request to the thread
                    Thanks for your suggestion I will give it a try.

Didn't know about the magazine, only joind yesterday. Have had a quick look and cannot wait to get back and read more.
                    What a great site this is.
                    Last edited by mike r; 31-07-10, 14:43. Reason: addition

Comment

Hi, I think I've found him in 1851 on another website but the pages seem to be missing from Ancestry.

George Burgess age 23, unmarried, Lodger in Rowley Green, Herts, Ag Lab born in Stoke, Bucks

If you pm me your email addy I'll try and send you a copy.

And this might be him in 1841 if he was in Herts at that time but he's a lodger again which is no help - sorry!

Last edited by Sue from Southend; 31-07-10, 15:20. Reason: to add more information
                      Sue

Comment

How certain are you that the Mary Osborne you have in 1851 is yours? I see from the marriage that her father's name was Isaac and on Family Search two Mary Osborns b1826/7 in Suffolk with a father named Isaac.

The reason I ask is that there is a Mary Osborn b1830 Suffolk in the 1851 census in St Lukes, London which is very near Shoreditch where they married.....

Sue

Comment

Hi Mike, welcome aboard!

I have Stoke Poges ancestors so if I stumble across any Burgesses while looking for them, I'll let you know.

You might find it helpful to contact the Bucks Family History Society. They did a marriage search for my family surname in Bucks for ÂŁ2 a few years back so its possible they could do a baptism search for yours.
                          ~ with love from Little Nell~
                          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Are you interested in the OSBORN line?
                            Glen

Comment

Hi! I think I've found him on the IGI's new site; his name has been recorded as George Bargus and he was baptised 18 Nov 1827 at Stoke Poges and his parents were George and Elizabeth. (I found it using the "exact, close and partial" setting.

The new IGI site is
                              Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

I hope this is what you were looking for. Welcome to the Family Tree Forum!

Belinda
                              Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

Originally posted by Sue from Southend View Post
                                Hi, I think I've found him in 1851 on another website but the pages seem to be missing from Ancestry.

George Burgess age 23, unmarried, Lodger in Rowley Green, Herts, Ag Lab born in Stoke, Bucks

If you pm me your email addy I'll try and send you a copy.

And this might be him in 1841 if he was in Herts at that time but he's a lodger again which is no help - sorry!

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...656&recoff=1+2

Thankyou. Have sent pm
                                mike

Comment

Originally posted by Sue from Southend View Post
                                  How certain are you that the Mary Osborne you have in 1851 is yours? I see from the marriage that her father's name was Isaac and on Family Search two Mary Osborns b1826/7 in Suffolk with a father named Isaac.

The reason I ask is that there is a Mary Osborn b1830 Suffolk in the 1851 census in St Lukes, London which is very near Shoreditch where they married.....

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...840&recoff=1+2

Sure I have the right Mary because when she married George, her neighbour from Hundon, James Sams (who she later married ) and her brother Isaac were living with them.
                                  Her parents Isaac and Hannah had also moved to Shoreditch by the 1871 census and lived close by. Isaac junior then moved back in with the parents.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Somerset Sal View Post
                                    Hi! I think I've found him on the IGI's new site; his name has been recorded as George Bargus and he was baptised 18 Nov 1827 at Stoke Poges and his parents were George and Elizabeth. (I found it using the "exact, close and partial" setting.

The new IGI site is
                                    Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

I hope this is what you were looking for. Welcome to the Family Tree Forum!

Belinda

Brilliant I think you may have cracked it. Will now do some more research on Ancestry.

Thank you so much.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Oakum Picker View Post
                                      Are you interested in the OSBORN line?
                                      I have them back to Isaac and Hannah getting married 1826 and the 1841 census, would be interested in anything further back but after their daughter married 1859 I am only following the Burgess line.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mike r View Post
                                        Thankyou. Have sent pm
                                        mike
                                        Have sent you an email
                                        Sue

Comment

Working...
                                        X