Connecting lap top to PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting lap top to PC

Can someone tell me what type of lead I would use for this please?

I'm having a sort out of files on both machines, using a USB flash drive to transfer files across. If I was to use a wire would each see the other as another device? I could see it being a lot easier than my present method (provided of course it's possible!) :D

Hi Velma,

You have two options:

1. Connect both PCs directly via the network connection sockets (RJ45 plugs) using a cable that looks like the same as you plugging it into your cable router, BUT it is wired differently and called a 'crossover cable' which you can purchase in most PC stores or from a local Maplins store.
    This will need you to set up Internet Protocol settings (IP settings) so that each can talk to each other.
    Information on the settings can be found here

2. create a 'home network' via your cable router, with each of then seing eachother and setting the required folder as a shared folder.
    Again this will need technical knowledge

Trev

Researching:
    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Thanks Trevor - not as 'easy' as I thought, but I'll have a look at those links

Comment

BTW would a connection like this work through wifi?

Comment

Originally posted by Velma Dinkley View Post
          BTW would a connection like this work through wifi?
          If you connect both of the Pc and Laptop to your WiFi Router and use the Home network Wizard in Windows it will walk you through setting them up as a 'network' and all you then need to do is set up the folder to be copied from as a shared folder.
          Use the help feature in Windows and it will inform you all about this.

reading about it make it sound more complecated than it actually is.
          I have a class of students who do this in 30 minutes just by following the wizard and Windows help

Trev

Researching:
          FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

That's great thanks Trevor, that sounds like an easier option

Comment

PM me if you get stuck
              I'll be in after 9 most nights

Researching:

Comment

The gaget show gave an overview of what to do here
                It is a bit of a 'nutshell' guide but may get it clearer for you to understand

This one shows how to share things on the network

Researching:

Comment

Thanks Trevor

Comment

Working...
                  X