Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions re: researching

Can you please advise me:

1) can I just go to the registry office where my relatives were married and just view the marriage certificate and would I have to pay to view?

2) I have relatives that were born, married and died in London is there one place I can go and look at the certificates for these events?

3) How and who do I approach asking to see Parish records?

I've probably got more questions for you ;D but the above is enough for me to be going on for now. Ali

1 you are not allowed to view the marriage certificate at a register office, you are allowed to purchase a copy.
    2 The best bet for certificates is order them online from the GRO
    3 Parish records go to the London Metropolitan Archives . (some are available through Ancestry.co.uk or .com
    Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
    http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

Comment

Many London baptism, marriage and burial certificates are online, on Ancestry.

You can get marriage (but not birth or death) certificates from the Record Office covering the place where the event took place, for the price of a photocopy.

Comment

As Mary has said - if you have London people to look for the LMA records on Ancestry are fantastic. You do need the Premium membership, though, Essentials don't cover those parish records. Ask if you need one or two lookups!

If its parish records from elsewhere in the country you need to visit the County Archive for the area you are researching. You can view the parish records (baptisms, marriages and burials) for free.

Anne

Comment

Thanks Mike and Mary.

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
            As Mary has said - if you have London people to look for the LMA records on Ancestry are fantastic. You do need the Premium membership, though, Essentials don't cover those parish records. Ask if you need one or two lookups!

If its parish records from elsewhere in the country you need to visit the County Archive for the area you are researching. You can view the parish records (baptisms, marriages and burials) for free.

Anne

Anne thanks for the info, I've just purchased 6mths on Ancestry World wide deluxe is that the same as premium membership? I'm just getting use to Ancestry haven't (I don't think) come across LMA section. So maybe I haven't got the right membership? Anyway the reason for my asking is that I have found my info on William Baggs my great grandfather's marriage but can't find his wife whose first name is all I have to go on. I'd have thought I could have found her given I have all the other info but nothing seems to come up. I guess that I will just have to order the cert however do find it curious that both sides of the marriage doesn't come up. thanks for your offer of help kind regards Ali

Year of Registration: 1893
            Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun
            District: Woolwich
            County: Greater London, Kent, London
            Volume: 1d
            Page: 1870

Comment

If you're looking on FreeBMD, click on the page number, and you get 4 names:

Marriages Jun 1893
              Baggs William Woolwich 1d 1870
              Couzens William Woolwich 1d 1870
              Dean Sophia Woolwich 1d 1870
              Miller Marian Rose Woolwich 1d 1870

(If you're using Ancestry, click on "View Record" and then the page number).

You can then check the 1901 census to see if you can work out who married whom (the 4 names are in alphabetical order).

You'll find the LMA records here:

I think he probably married Marian; I seem to remember seeing somebody who looked like him living with a Marian when I searched for him for one of your other threads.

I can't see the marriage in the LMA records; I thought Woolwich was included, but I'm not very familiar with London records.
              Last edited by Mary from Italy; 29-07-10, 17:09.

Comment

Unfortunately that marriage (nor the banns for it) are on the LMA records, so it does mean buying a certificate if you want the full details of both their parents.

Anne

Comment

Yes, just checked the 1901 census, and William and Marian are living in Plumstead with children Clara and Eva.

I've checked the LMA records again, and there are quite a lot of records for Woolwich, but I can't find the marriage of William and Marian or the baptisms of Clara and Eva, so they presumably went to a church that isn't included in the LMA records.

Comment

Anne thanks for your response.

Mary thanks for your investigation I think you are right about William marrying Marion and its great that you could give me Marion's surname. I tried and tried to find it with no joy so I am most grateful. I also couldn't pick up anything for William on FreeBMD clearly I'm doing something wrong :(

Marriages Jun 1893
                    Baggs William Woolwich 1d 1870

Miller Marian Rose Woolwich 1d 1870

(If you're using Ancestry, click on "View Record" and then the page number).

Also it seems that I can't see the marriage on ancestry or the link below which I just tried. Do you think it might be that I don't have the right subscription level on Ancestry, which is worldwide 6 mth's?

"You'll find the LMA records here:
                    http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?...d=0%3a7858%3a0 "

Again many thanks for your help and patience :D Ali

Comment

Originally posted by alig99 View Post
                      Also it seems that I can't see the marriage on ancestry or the link below which I just tried. Do you think it might be that I don't have the right subscription level on Ancestry, which is worldwide 6 mth's?

No, you should be able to view everything with the worldwide subscription.

Did you subscribe through ancestry.co.uk, ancestry.com or ancestry.com.au?

If it was the .au site, try this link:

For the .com site try this one:

They should all work, but you may need to sign in again if you follow a link to a site other than the one you subscribed to.

These links are to the LMA records, which don't include William and Marion's marriage, as I said in my earlier post.
                      Last edited by Mary from Italy; 29-07-10, 21:52.

Comment

You shouldn't have any trouble with FreeBMD either.

Go to this page:

Put "Baggs" as the surname and "William" as the first name, and "Mar" as the spouse's first name (this will pick up variations like Mary Ann, Marian, Marianne and Marion).

Click on "Marriages", then on "Find".

Scroll down to the 1893 marriage in Woolwich and click on the page number (1870), which will bring up the 4 names.

I generally use FreeBMD in preference to Ancestry (although Ancestry's faster for some searches) because it allows you to include the spouse's first name when you search for a marriage, which Ancestry doesn't.

To view the marriage index entry on Ancestry, use this search page:

A free partial collection of England and Wales Marriage records indexed from 1837 to 1983, especially useful for names before 1900
                        Last edited by Mary from Italy; 29-07-10, 21:53.

Comment

Working...
                        X