Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who was Charles William Poole's wife?

Charles William Poole, born 1880 in Taunton

I had always been told his wife was Emma Chapman and that they married in Dunnmow in 1898, but.................. I have seen on 1901 he was in Middlesburgh as a visitor. He states he was single.

I do know that he had a daughter called Selina in 1902 (Taunton)

Can anyone find an alternative marriage or know his wife's name after 1901 census? ;)

Researching:
    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Charles Poole with wife Emma and family are in Taunton in 1901. Charles gives his dob as 1874
    Class: RG13; Piece: 2278; Folio: 128; Page: 38

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

There seem to have been several Charles Pooles born in Taunton around that time. You probably need to get a marriage certificate to be sure that you have the right one.
    Sue

Comment

The birth of Ivy Selina Poole was registered in Taunton in Q4 1902.
      Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

The free search of the 1911 shows a Charles Poole born 1875 with an Ivy and an Emma in the household living in Taunton. ;)
        Caroline
        Caroline's Family History Pages
        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Hi Caroline/Sue

These are not the Charles and Emma I am looking for, as I have found their marriage on BMD 1894 Charles Poole married Emma Saunders and his employment was a 'dealer' on 1901 census.

The Charles I am looking for was working in the cinema/theatre business

Trev

Researching:
          FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Where are you sourcing your info. Are you starting with the known and working back or trying to make other people's trees fit? Charles Poole aged 31, born Taunton on 1911 census was a music hall entertainer with wife Emmie, or could be Eunice (married 6 years) and daughter Ivy (only one child born of this marriage). Both wife and daughter born in "Northamptonshire Peterboro". This seems to be the Charles you are searching for but doesn't fit with the Selina that you "know" about but who seems to have been the daughter of the other Charles Wiliam, or with the Dunmow marriage which you have "always been told about"

Update: There was a mariage of a Charles William Poole to an Emmie Clark in Barnsley in Q3 1905
            Last edited by JudithM; 29-07-10, 10:38.
            Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Hi Judith,

I did know that Charles William Poole was born in Taunton 1880.
              I knew he was part of a traveling entertainment family (They were called Poole's Myriorama and famous all over the UK) and that he managed one of their shows/cinemas.
              I was informed he had a daughter called Selina c1902. (Just checked my notes and it says Ivy Selina Poole)

I was informed that he married Emma Chapman in Dunnmow and had accepted that, but when I found him on the 1901 census, listed as single, I had doubts and have only now got to that 'question' in my family tree to-do list.

I think that Caroline has found the birth of 'selina' (I was told that was her name), as Ivy Selina Poole was registered in Taunton in Q4 1902. The Pooles were constantly moving around the country with their shows, but Charles was based in the Devon/Somerset area
              The pooles are renound for using middle names or alias instead of their given name (My uncle Henry George uses Harry even now).

The marriage date does confirm my questioning of the information (1898 marriage) I had been questioning and with Ivy's birth (though DoBs match) it seems that others had made the wrong assumption for her birth, though you have not given an age in your posting.

[Above paragraph updated, as I was working back as if it were 1901 census not 1911]

As they are not a direct part of my Poole tree, but are constently appearing in the same area (My Gt Grandfather Denis Poole even worked for them in Malmesbury), I have been following their line to assist in removing incorrect connections to my direct line and as a sideline of reasearch, as they have interested me.
              A book about them, which focused more on Charles W's father and uncles was published by Hudson Powell, who had passed on much of the information to me some years ago when I first got interested and now, during my college's summer recess, I have 'picked up the baton' to see what other information I can add or double check since the original work was carried out.
              Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 29-07-10, 11:07.

Researching:

Comment

Originally posted by TrevorFranklin View Post
                Hi Judith,

I did know that Charles William Poole was born in Taunton 1880.
                I knew he was part of a traveling entertainment family (They were called Poole's Myriorama and famous all over the UK) and that he managed one of their shows/cinemas.
                I was informed he had a daughter called Selina c1902. (Just checked my notes and it says Ivy Selina Poole)

I was informed that he married Emma Chapman in Dunnmow and had accepted that, but when I found him on the 1901 census, listed as single, I had doubts and have only now got to that 'question' in my family tree to-do list.

I think that Caroline has found the birth of 'selina' (I was told that was her name), as Ivy Selina Poole was registered in Taunton in Q4 1902. The Pooles were constantly moving around the country with their shows, but Charles was based in the Devon/Somerset area
                The pooles are renound for using middle names or alias instead of their given name (My uncle Henry George uses Harry even now).

The marriage date does confirm my questioning of the information (1898 marriage) I had been questioning and with Ivy's birth (though DoBs match) it seems that others had made the wrong assumption for her birth, though you have not given an age in your posting.
                Sorry, should have said the Ivy in 1911 was 3 years old, so born about 1907/8. If Peterboro is the correct birthplace there is a possible entry for her on Freebmd.

[Above paragraph updated, as I was working back as if it were 1901 census not 1911]

As they are not a direct part of my Poole tree, but are constently appearing in the same area (My Gt Grandfather Denis Poole even worked for them in Malmesbury), I have been following their line to assist in removing incorrect connections to my direct line and as a sideline of reasearch, as they have interested me.
                A book about them, which focused more on Charles W's father and uncles was published by Hudson Powell, who had passed on much of the information to me some years ago when I first got interested and now, during my college's summer recess, I have 'picked up the baton' to see what other information I can add or double check since the original work was carried out.
                This is the sort of challenge I frequently get caught up in, usually when i should be sorting out the piles of notes etc for my more mundane lines. Good luck with the search.
                Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I've sent you a pm Trevor as I'm never sure how much info I can post with ref to the 1911 census
                  WendyP

Comment

Information on occupation has confirmed I was correct in questioning the information I previously been in receipt of.
                    I had confirmed via 1901 he was still single and the 'snippits' on length of marriage and dau's age posted sent me to the BMD references I needed, so thanks to you all.

Researching:

Comment

If you want any Poole information in Australia, I have a very helpful Poole cousin out there. I also have Franklins on my family tree and also on my wife's ( Berkshire ). Both rather plentiful names but you never know.

Comment

Thanks Qwerty, but my Pooles are Wiltshire/Glos, with a branch I have only just connected to in Canada.
                        Franklins are all from Harrow area

Trev

Researching:

Comment

Working...
                        X