Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Allison Bays - his beginning and his end??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allison Bays - his beginning and his end??

Allison Bays appears in Sewerby, East Yorks, in 1841 census. (25 yrs old, and a male servant living in on a farm.)

In 1851 he is in Reighton, East Yorks (36 yrs old, born Hunmanby) visiting with my gt gt gdparents John & Rose Claxton. I'm sure he is a member of Rose's extended family
    - her mother was Esther BAYS, and Esther's maternal grandmother was Rose ALLISON.

I can find no other census reference for him, nor a death, and although I've hunted through PR in the relative villages for Bays & Allison events, I've never come across a baptism for this Allison Bays.:(

Can any one help. please? (Not to be confused with a later Allison Bayes, born Weaverthorpe c 1876?)

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

There is a marriage for an Allison Bays Dec quater 1851 Scarborough - wife not given.

On the 1870 United States census an Alison G Bays 55 born England living with wife Jane 48 - Precinct 2, Rusk, Texas.

If you sent for the Marriage Certificate it would prove one way or the other if Jane was the wife.

Hope this helps.

Comment

There's a Jane KNAGGS in the list on the same reference...
      • BARKER John Catley
      • BAYS Allison
      • HARGRAVE Sarah
      • JEFFERSON William
      • KNAGGS Jane
      • LONSDALE Hannah
      • SMITH William
      • WILLIAMSON David

(I have submitted a correction to FreeBMD for the current doubtful 24-67[38] reference)

You may wish to see if you can match up the other partners. Sadly YorkshireBMD seems to have no Scarboro' transcriptions.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

In 1851, there's a Jane KNAGGS, unmarried, 29, b Middleton on the Wolds, with widowed mother, Mary (57) and younger brother, Henry (12) - living in Scarborough.

This seems a more likely candidate than the 31-yr-old in Guisbrough (Kirkleatham), who's married to a Robert, anyway.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Many thanks, Terrianne

I now recall finding that marriage ref some time ago (it was highlighted on FreeBMD when I looked a minute ago, so I've defo visited before, but had forgotten all about it.)

The marriage cert will (hopefully) name his father and help me to place Allison in the extended family.
          The man in Texas sounds very likely. I don't think there would have been too many male Allison Bays around. (The later one is definitely a part of my extended Bays family.)

Thanks for your help - I'd got so I couldn't see the wood for the trees:D

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Thankyou, Christine - Jane Knaggs of Scarborough sounds a likely candidate.

I appreciate your help.

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Following up the clues given me by Terrianne & Christine, the 1860 American census index has a "Harrison" Bays 45 yrs and Jane Bays 37 yrs in Rusk Texas.
              That probably explains why I couldn't spot them in 1861 Eng & Wales census

1880 census shows Allison as a farmer in Texas.

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
              X