any ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any ideas

what or how would the circumstances be for a relative been born on a ship in Indonesia in 1807 any ideas?

The British conquered parts of Indonesia in 1806-7 - perhaps the child was born to a settler's or soldier's wife during the voyage.

Where did the information about the birth at sea come from?

Comment

thank you mary an idea indeed the info came fromthe tree on ancestry george

Comment

I've found the tree on Ancestry that you mean, but I'd take it with a pinch of salt if I were you. The sources they give are the 1841 and 1851 Welsh censuses; it doesn't say he was born at sea in the 1841 census, just that he wasn't born in the county where he was living. It does say he was born at sea in 1851, but it doesn't say where.

It's always possible that it was in Indonesian waters, but a bit unlikely. A lot of trees on Ancestry have very strange birthplaces; I think it's caused by Ancestry's autocomplete function, which inserts entirely the wrong names, and tree owners rarely bother checking.

If you want to find out more, you can always contact the tree owner to see if they have any other information.

You also need to check if they have the right William Lewis; his wife is named as Ann in 1841 and Eliza in 1851.

Comment

many thanks mary her name was esther ann but they did chnge names around a bit in those census george

Comment

Working...
          X