TNA - catch 22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TNA - catch 22

I'm unexpectedly going to have the opportunity to visit The National Archives next Wednesday. As a result I've been browsing the catalogue and found a few items relating to my family.

Unfortunately one of them needs to be ordered 3 days in advance ........ and you can't do that without a Readers Ticket. It seems you can only get a Readers Ticket by going the TNA personally. Living in Carlisle my visits to London are once in a blue moon, so how do I order it 3 days in advance?

Anne

You could always ring them explaining the situation...

Or perhaps a kind member can arrange to meet you there and order the item on their card. Although I can't make it... sorry!!

Comment

I think Ann Swabey* is there quit a bit. It might be worth asking her about it, if you don't get any joy ringing TNA to explain the dilemma.

*If I've mis-remembered her name, it's not so different from that that you wouldn't be able to find her to send a PM. I'll go and see if I can find one of her posts to check.

Christine

~~~~~
      Her user name is annswabey, and her footer is:
      Researcher - National Archives, Kew. Click here for information
      Last edited by Christine in Herts; 28-07-10, 19:10. Reason: more info
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I'll try giving them a ring tomorrow. I guess I could always get it copied - but I've no idea exactly how long it is or what it contains! Its a Chancery document described as 'Bill only'. [C16/328/C105 if anyone's interested]

Anne

Comment

I'd have tried to do something for you tomorrow - but that's too soon for 3 days' notice!

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Ann I got a copy of a Chancery Bill recently which was about 4 pages.

Christine you've spelt Ann's name right, here's her website

Welcome To Military & Family Research Facts uncovered and mysteries solved Introduction As a reputable and highly recommended genealogist, I founded Mil ...
            Jay

Comment

Thanks, Jay. Glad to hear it is not just a few lines anyway!

Anne

Comment

WOW!!!! RESULT

I rang and they gave a an Advance Order email address. I emailed, explained the problem and told them the order details. Got an email straight back to say it will be available when I have got the Reader Ticket when I arrive! Great service, TNA.

Anne

Comment

That's excellent service, well done!! :D

Comment

That's great news Anne.
                    Jay

Comment

Working...
                    X